Freshman student dies in Pardee Tower

A freshman student died Wednesday night after Department of Public Safety officials found her unresponsive and not breathing in her dorm room, officials said.

DPS officers responded to the room of Rachel Kim, a freshman majoring in print and digital journalism who lived on the sixth floor of Pardee Tower, after receiving a call at 8:41 p.m, said DPS Capt. David Carlisle.

“The Los Angeles City Fire Department Unit 15 was also notified and responded to the scene,” Carlisle said. “[Kim] was transported to California Hospital and was later pronounced dead.”

The cause of death has not yet been released. Carlisle said privacy rules prevented him from giving more information.

According to her roommate, Molly Keam, a freshman majoring in biological sciences, Kim had been talking and laughing with Keam moments before she collapsed.

“Everything was going fine,” Keam said.

A counseling session will be held on Thursday at 7 p.m. for residents of the sixth floor of Pardee; another session will be held at 8 p.m. in the Pardee Tower second-floor lobby for all Pardee residents, Michael L. Jackson, vice president of student affairs, wrote in an e-mail to Pardee residents.

“Our hearts and prayers go out to Rachel’s family and friends,” Jackson said. “We know that this tragedy will weigh heavily on our community and please know that we want to support all of you.”

For immediate support, students can contact DPS dispatch at (213) 740-6000 to speak with a counselor.

1. mary ann
    mary ann says:

This happened Monday, not Wednesday. You might also want to mention the memorial service on Wednesday night.

• Um NO
      Um NO says:

Lol no it didnt happen Monday it was Wednesday…..you shouldnt comment on things unless you know the details

2. Marchetta tench
    Marchetta tench says:

My. Son passed od cardiac arrest in 2004 while at school also. Please forward my info to this family so they can get in touch when they want to. Thank you so much