USC-UCLA Live Blog

Today’s game kicks off at 7:30 p.m. on the West Coast.  All updates will be timestamped with game time. Be sure to check out our Twitter feed for instant info @dailytrojan

4th Quarter:

4:25, USC 21, UCLA 7: Richard Brehaut’s fourth-down pass to the endzone falls incomplete, all but ensuring the USC victory. It may not have been pretty, but it looks like the Trojans are going to at least end their forgettable 2010 season with a win over their cross-town rivals.

11:17, USC 21, UCLA 7: Barkley hits Allen Bradford on a swing pass and Bradford turns it up for a 47-yard score. After a sloppy third quarter, this was welcome news for a USC offense that has been inconsistent tonight.

Bradford’s catch capped a 97-yard, 9-play drive. Bradford has been a work horse tonight, carrying the ball 26 times for 131 yards. He’s been about the only reliable thing about the Trojans.

3rd Quarter:

2:50, USC 14, UCLA 7: The turnover frenzy continues, with Barkley throwing another errant pass that is intercepted by Aaron Hester. UCLA again has the ball inside USC territory.

8:00, USC 14, UCLA 7: The Trojans and Bruins can’t help but the give the ball back to each other.

Cornerback Nickell Robey intercepts Richard Brehaut’s pass and the Trojans take over at their own 16-yardline. Robey makes up for a missing a sure interception and probable touchdown earlier in this drive.

But Barkley gives it right back to the Bruins when Tony Dye steps in front of his pass. Barkley has been so-so up to this point (10-for-18, 123 yards).

A few plays later, Malcolm Smith recovered a UCLA fumble, swinging the momentum back to the USC sideline. Let’s see if the Trojans can hold onto it on this drive as they look to extend their lead.

2nd Quarter:

0:00, USC 14, UCLA 7: The Trojans hold the Bruins on their final drive of the half after a UCLA delay of game penalty on fourth down. USC hands the ball to Allen Bradford and lets the off-beat first half expire.

2:31, USC 14, UCLA 7: UCLA was driving to take the lead and the Trojans were in desperate need for a momentum changing play. Malcolm Smith provided just that, scooping up a Jonathan Franklin fumble and returning it 68 yards for a touchdown.

It was a much-needed boost for the Trojans, whose first-half mistakes have already cost them at least 10 points.

6:49, USC 7, UCLA 7: Rather than settle for a 35-yard field goal, USC runs a bizarre fake-field goal. The Trojans initially lined up for the field goal, then shifted, with holder Mitch Mustain at quarterback. Mustain’s pass fell incomplete, falling nowhere near a USC receiver.

A Robert Woods touchdown was called back two plays earlier when Kristofer O’Dowd was flagged for holding.

The Trojans are 1-for-3 on fourth-down conversions tonight. The Trojans drove the ball 78 yards before turning the ball over on downs for the second time.

Despite the failed fake field goal, the Trojans did find some offensive rhythm on this drive, especially on the ground. After gaining only 47 yards rushing the first half, the Trojans gained 57 on this drive alone.

1st QUARTER:

0:00, USC 7, UCLA 7: The first quarter comes to a close with the score tied. The Trojans have been able to move the ball, gaining seven first downs. Other than Fraklin’s long run, UCLA has only gained 41 yards on offense.

3:47, USC 7, UCLA 7: Jonathan Franklin bursts through the USC defense untouched for a 59-yard touchdown run. It only took two plays and 65 yards for the Bruins to even the score.

A big play was just what the Bruins’ fans needed to get back into the game. Defense breakdowns continue to hinder the Trojans.

4:39, USC 7, UCLA 0: Out of the wildcat formation, Dillon Baxter hits Rhett Ellison on a five-yard TD pass. Baxter, who played quarterback in high school, shares wildcat duties with Marc Tyler.

In three passes out of the wildcat this season, the Trojans have completed two. Baxter completed a short pass to Ronald Johnson last week against Notre Dame.

UCLA has yet to gain a first down on offense.

9:01, USC 0, UCLA 0: The Trojans turn the ball over on downs when Marc Tyler is stopped behind the line on a fourth-and-one. The Trojans were moving the ball with ease on their first possession before stalling at the UCLA 22-yardline.

The Bruins take over on offense for the second time tonight.