New Listen: Lucy Schwartz

Los Angeles is home to astounding artists that reach beyond the mainstream, and to not utilize the convenience of talent at one’s fingertips is ludicrous.

Among the gifted artists is one of my new favorites Lucy Schwartz. At just twenty years old, the born and raised Angelino has already written, performed and independently produced two Oscar contenders (for Shrek Forever After and Mother and Child) and the international theme song for the hit television show Parenthood; has had songs featured in several other television shows such as Grey’s Anatomy, No Ordinary Family, Make It or Break It, ER and Brothers and Sisters; has toured with The Weepies and has had So You Think You Can Dance’s Sonya Tayeh choreograph her music video.

Lucy Schwartz. Creative Commons

With such a stacked résumé, you’d think she’s been working under a heavy, music label, but she’s been doing things herself under the endearingly named label “Fortunate Fool Records.” Her very likable, distinct, upbeat, indie, pop style matched with a memorable voice is definitely a great sound to groove to on a sunny day, and also one to turn a dark mood light.

Every track on her recently released album, “Life in Letters,” has different kinds of admirable, lighthearted qualities to them, whether it is a random ukulele riff in the middle or a clap/snap rhythm in place of drums. She’s definitely got a long and successful career ahead of her.

My Top Picks: “My Darling,” “Life in Letters,” “I Want the Sky” and “Seven Hours” feat. Aqualung.

Check her out on iTunes, www.myspace.com/lucysong or www.lucyschwartzmusic.com.