Eclectic duo brings new ambiance to USC campus

Love is in the air for Kisses.

Kisses’ Jesse Kivel and Zinzi Edmundson are an unusual duo with notable echoes of Hot Chip and David Byrne.

The band’s  music is  intriguing, given its laidback, nu-disco ambiance, a boon in today’s Lady Gaga and Katy Perry-dominated world.

Peas in a pod · The two-person band is made up of couple Jesse Kivel and Zinzi Edmundson, who draw inspiration from Talking Heads. - Photo courtesy of Daniel Gill

With electronic, dance and pop elements, Kisses throws a modern spin on beloved and cherished seventies styles, particularly through their vast incorporation of keyboards.

The best part: Kisses remain decidedly low-profile, providing our privileged Trojan community with the opportunity to see them perform tonight at Tommy’s Place at 9 p.m. The performance is being put on by USC Spectrum.

The enthralling band found its start a year and a half ago. Kivel is actually part of another group, Princeton, and on the side he began working on his own music with Edmundson, his girlfriend. Princeton focused more on extensive touring and with the downtime came the creation we know as Kisses.

Musicians can radiate vanity, self-absorption and superiority. Kisses, however, is an exception.

Kivel and Edmundson prefer the intimacy of performing for a smaller crowd versus larger venues.

Granted, this preference is partially because they aren’t as well known, but Kivel and Edmundson both thrive on the energy of college student fans.

In terms of favorite creations, Edmundson favors “Midnight Lover,” possibly because she likes the idea of a chivalrous man; the lyrics repeatedly state, I would like to take you out for a nice steak dinner.

Jesse, on the other hand, prefers “A Weekend in Brooklyn,” a sweet and relaxed confession of thinking about one’s other half.

The two found inspiration for these songs and the others on their debut LP, The Heart of the Night Life, from the likes of Blondie, Talking Heads, electronic dance music and even art.

As the pair continues to build its own characteristic style, they are finding less need to imitate others.

As much as Kisses loves what it is doing, making a living as musicians is not without its tribulations.

“It can easily make you cynical,” Kivel said.

Both members of Kisses suggest that any aspiring musicians should understand that the music industry will always be skewed in interest and demographics, but they advise remaining optimistic.

Although the two are quite relaxed, they realize their profession is a serious business.  The duo understands the importance of finding a secure way to make the necessary funds amid the new fad of illegal internet downloading, but also do not necessarily condemn it.

“I’d be a hypocrite to frown upon pirating,” Kivel said.

He recognized filesharing as something that will always be a part of the music industry, but suggested that websites make it harder for files to be accessed, to discourage people from attempting to cheat hard-working musicians.

As a temporary solution, Kivel sees branding as the best way to be financially successful.

Kisses has found that from concert tickets to CDs to T-shirts, ancillary goods can provide a significant income boost for up-and-coming bands.

As for future plans, Kivel and Edmundson believe collaborations and opportunities will come naturally.

Princeton will be coming out with a record this year, a release that will be Kivel’s primary focus for the next few months.

A second Kisses release, however, is still within the realm of possibility.

“I’d saturate the market if I put out everything I wanted to,” Kivel said.