Trojans prepare for UCLA grudgematch

In what is a historically lopsided rivalry, it will take a few more generations of Trojan athletes to bridge the 37-85 all-time series deficit against the No. 4 UCLA men’s volleyball team.

Eager to continue that arduous ascent to .500 after having won its previous two games against the Bruins, the No. 1 USC men’s volleyball team (5-0, 5-0) will square off against UCLA (6-2, 1-1) tonight in a 7 p.m. match at the Pauley Pavilion.

Leadership · Despite struggles against UCLA in seasons prior, senior opposite Murphy Troy and USC look to achieve their best start since 1994. - Brandon Hui | Daily Trojan

History is largely irrelevant to a USC team that has only ceded one set all season, as the Trojans are outperforming their opponents in nearly every statistical category imaginable.

In fact, the only category in which the Trojans have not been besting their foes this season is home attendance, as the Trojans have averaged a paltry 550 spectators per game at the Galen Center, albeit only through two games.

“I expect this to be the toughest test so far,” said coach Bill Ferguson. “They’re a big, physical team — just like we are — with a great middle blocking core. We expect it to be a crazy evening, as there’s so much history between these two programs.”

Come tonight, however, the Trojans will try to temper their excitement and not let the rivalry distract their focus from their own individual game plans. A recurring theme in all player interviews this season has been the Trojans’ dedication to fine-tuning their own skills and game plans,while not concerning themselves with other teams’ scouting reports.

“Like every game, it’s about the serve-and-pass battle,” said senior setter Riley McKibbin. “If we continue to do that, we’ll be fine. We want to jump on them early. Every game against the Bruins is important, but they’re also just another team in a long season.”

UCLA enters the game fresh off of an efficient three set-win against Pepperdine after having struggled against Long Beach State — a match they lost in five sets. Outside hitter Gonzalo Quiroga and quick hitter Weston Dunlap lead the attack with 75 and 74 kills, respectively.

Despite the early season success and the accolades the Trojans have received, ranging from their continuous No. 1 ranking to senior opposite Murphy Troy’s National Player of the Week award, perhaps the greatest reason for optimism moving forward is that this team feels it has yet to hit its stride.

“One of our strengths has been our steadiness, especially with our play in the middle,” Ferguson said. “In most cases, we’ve been able to run our offense the way we want. We weren’t satisfied with our passing last night or in some of our other games. We can be so much better.”