Brice Butler’s father says son didn’t get ‘fair chance’ under Kiffin

Former Atlanta Falcons defensive back Bobby Butler, the father of Brice Butler, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Thursday that his son did not receive a “fair chance” to compete for playing time, while playing for USC coach Lane Kiffin, who replaced Pete Carroll in January 2010.

Brice Butler announced Wednesday he intended to transfer via Twitter, citing playing time as the primary reason for the decision:

“Always will be a part of trojan nation! No regrets, I just gotta go play fball, which isn’t happening here… I love all yall! Always will.”

In speaking with the media, the elder Butler not only told ACJ.com that he supported his son’s decision, saying it was the “right move,” but that he was also not given an equal opportunity for playing time:

“Lane Kiffin did not give Brice a fair chance … no, he did not give him a fair chance at all,” said Butler.

“You take a kid who is a starter, then the next thing you know you put a kid who has only been [in college practice] for 10 days and start him in front of [Butler]. They didn’t even play the same [wide receiver positions].

Robert Woods, who is referenced above, finished the season with 65 catches for 792 yards and six touchdowns.

(H/T Orange County Register)

1. Another Idiot Dad
    Another Idiot Dad says:

Dear Mr. Butler,

Your son is not as good as Robert Woods. Maybe if your son worked harder in practice and wasn’t content with his “starter” position, then he would play. Thanks for the extra scholarship back. Good riddance.