IPA beer guide for all the beer seasons

Winter. The air is crisp, Adam Sandler has a new movie in theaters and reports of a snowbound New York City stream through every news outlet. On nights like these, a crackling fire and a tall glass of beer can put the perfect spin on an otherwise bleak season.

But what beer is ideal for the cold months? Nutty, brown ales and oatmeal stouts are the obvious winter drinks in density and malt content, but for those who can’t wait for beach season to commence, consider India Pale Ale.

Crisp, heavy on the alcohol and almost sadistically packed with hops, IPA is no halfhearted beer. Its very mention can inspire both shudders and sighs of elation. The legendary brew first rose to prominence with its 17th century production on East India Company ships, as the strong hop content ensures a longer lifespan for the beer.

If IPA was enough to sustain the crustiest of English sailors through typhoons and scurvy, surely it has a place in Los Angeles’ growing beer culture.

For connoisseurs, or those tired of tossing back a Blue Moon on Thursday nights, the wild world of IPAs is ripe for exploration. Here are four choice brews to begin with, depending on the conditioning of your taste buds.

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA – Gaithersburg, Md.

Winner of the Gold Medal at the 2008 Stockholm Beer & Whiskey Festival, this widely available, world famous IPA is known for converting those afraid of the delectable hop burn. Here, the bones of the beer are far maltier in nature, offering a dainty sweetness of raisins and molasses that offsets the fury of hops perfectly.

A smoky shade of copper when poured into a glass, the 90 Minute IPA still wields that classic aftertaste of citrus and other tart fruits that generally define IPAs as a summer beer.

Though Dogfish Head only represents the gates of a thrilling class of beer, this particular brew could easily sustain one’s thirst for IPAs alone. The 90 Minute IPA can be found at Traddie’s, BevMo and other specialty beer stores.

Victory Hop Devil IPA – Downington, Pa.

A strange but indispensable IPA, this infamously bipolar beer from Pennsylvania’s Victory Brewing Company is the only one that I can confidently call “spicy.”

Aptly named for its fiery hop content, the Hop Devil reveals an elegant amber shade when poured but packs a sensorial wallop.

Lighter on citrus and packed with unique floral flavors, the beer’s initially vicious taste slowly reveals surprising hints of strawberries and caramel. By the first sip’s end, the Hop Devil becomes surprisingly sweet, more than most IPAs.

Like the fiercest of lovers, the Hop Devil can be a struggle to endure, but its nectarous climax is worth the ride. It can be found at BevMo.

Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA – Boston, Mass.

A masterpiece worthy of Sarte and Bertolucci. Whether you’ve tried one of Harpoon’s many beers or remember the brewery logo from The Departed’s numerous Boston sets, their Leviathan Imperial IPA is pure magic.

All the classic flavors are present, from the grapefruit peel down to the freshest of pine trees and evergreens. The 10-percent alcohol level gives the beer an unexpected kick, but its mouth-wateringly foamy head offsets this jolt with an inherent creaminess not found in most IPAs.

Whether on the slopes of Big Bear or on the beach at sunset, the Leviathan Imperial IPA is a beer of all seasons, sharp enough to satisfy the masochists and sweet enough to lull newcomers into bliss. Though sometimes hard to find beyond New England, it has appeared in California beer stores during the winter months.

Green Flash West Coast IPA – Vista, Calif.

If Dogfish Head favors a full body union of sweet and bitter flavors, the good folks at Green Flash err on the hoppier side of IPAs.

Their West Coast IPA is a brilliantly tart concoction, spiked with much grapefruit zest and even heavier on the pine scents.

The first sip feels wrought from the green earth itself, albeit in the most pleasantly aromatic way. Thankfully, the intense blast of plant flavors slowly surrenders to a soothing aftertaste of citrus, tropical fruits and even a hint of mint.

Green Flash can make a dishy companion for those planning camping trips. As a beer, it belongs in the same school as those naturally fermented root beers some might have traumatic memories of sampling in science classes.

Thankfully, Green Flash wields  more in flavor than Professor Quackenbush’s chemistry kits.  The West Coast IPA is readily available on tap at The Lab Gastropub.

1. JM
    JM says:

All good choices but Pliny the Elder and Stone IPA should be added. Although Sculpin might be my favorite. For something local try the many yummy ones for Eagle Rock Brewery.