Cinema school partners with YouTube

YouTube has launched its Creator Institute in conjunction with the USC School of Cinematic Arts to provide an opportunity for digital artists to hone their craft.

USC, along with Columbia College Chicago, will be partnering with YouTube to offer a state-of-the-art curriculum in ‘new media’ technology with classes in cinematography, story arcing, social media tactics and monetization strategies — in short the skills needed by content creators to succeed in the digital market.

The summer program will consist of online and on-campus classes taught by some of the best video, TV and film professors in the industry.

Prior to the launch, YouTube acquired Next New Network, a web-only video production house. The acquisition is the latest in YouTube’s plan to produce and own original content; a plan they hope this will boost content-creator development and help diffuse new ideas.

The YouTube Creator Institute is YouTube Next’s first initiative helping to jump start this plan.

USC and CCC will be accepting applications until March 25. Each school will accept ten applicants for the summer program, which runs from May 25 to June 22. Winners will be selected after a two-week voting period for their video submissions from March 28 to April 8.