Haute High Lights

Movie of the Week —

Super, Premieres Friday

If Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Kick-Ass just weren’t enough for you, here is yet another movie based on the average guy in an unfortunate situation who becomes a super hero of sorts. Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page are unlikely and largely untalented sidekicks in the upcoming Super, a movie about a heartbroken man who dresses up in a costume and uses “Shut up, crime!” as his catch phrase.

Whether the movie will live up to the video-game visuals and quirky humor of Pilgrim and Kick-Ass is anyone’s guess, but with help from Nathan Fillion and Footloose star Kevin Bacon, it might put up a bit of a fight.

News of the Week –  Vans Warped Tour Lineup The Vans Warped Tour is the music festival that most puts your life in danger. This year’s crowdsurfing, mosh-pit alternative music fans can look forward to watching the likes of screamo bands A Skylit Drive and the newly re-assembled Dance Gavin Dance. But for those searching for a less intense sound, rap/hip-hop duo 3OH!3 will make an appearance, along with up-and-coming solo rapper Yelawolf. Travie McCoy will also set aside his solo tracks for a performance with Gym Class Heroes. If you’re a music fan that can’t settle on one genre, this is the show for you. The tour will come to Pomona and other cities in California starting July 1.
Event of the Week
Lady Gaga at the Honda Center, today at 8 p.m.
It’s difficult to describe a Lady Gaga concert, but astoundingly strange costumes and over-the-top theatrics might sum it up. Described by most as more of an event than a concert, Lady Gaga’s shows have reached a status of mysticism that gets fans paying almost $200 for a ticket. If you afford to witness the event, whether or not you are okay with someone dressing up in latex or raw meat, you can say you were part of something that, for good or bad, made an impact on pop culture as we know it. Gaga is either a little off-kilter or highly artistically creative. You decide.

Event of the Week

First Friday at the Natural History Museum,

Friday at 8 p.m.

If a trip to the Staples Center isn’t within your budget, how about a more alternative concert? The Natural History Museum’s First Friday program combines a tour, discussion, performance and DJ sets into one show this Friday for an event that is both inexpensive and convenient. A walk down the street will expose you to the worlds of electronic duo The Pinker Tones and up-and-coming Latin singer Ceci Bastida. If that’s not enough for one night, there will also be DJ sets from KCRW staffers Anthony Valadez and Raul Campos as well as DJ ORO11. Though no display will come to life, this night at the museum will be one to remember.