Trojans topple last-place Huskies in road contest

USC junior pitcher Andrew Triggs entered Thursday’s game against Washington with an ERA of 5.13. He finished it with an ERA of 4.52.

Triggs pitched his and the Trojans’ (17-20, 7-6) second complete game of the season,  throwing nine innings of one-run ball as USC took game one of a three-game set against the Huskies (11-24, 2-8).

His one allowed run came in the very first inning off an RBI double. Triggs shut down the Huskies offense after that.

The righty recorded a career-high 10 strikeouts, allowing just five hits and issuing just one free pass. Triggs would allow just six base runners and retired the Huskies in order in the third, fourth, fifth and ninth, including 11 straight at one point.

Washington starter Geoff Brown was terrific, as well. The lefty scattered two runs and six hits over eight innings, striking out four and walking just one. But the two runs were all the Trojans needed.

Both runs came in the second for the Trojans. With two outs, sophomore third baseman Adam Landecker singled up the middle, and freshman designated hitter Kevin Swick walked. Up stepped true-freshman shortstop James Roberts, who delivered a two-run double into the gap in right center.

That was it for the scoring on both sides, and for most action in general throughout the game. Washington coach Lindsay Meggs was ejected in the seventh inning, but otherwise Triggs and Brown kept the game moving quickly.