Fall introduces foreign cinematic gems

Everybody is familiar with the big blockbusters of the fall: Paranormal Activity 3, Footloose, The Three Musketeers, Breaking Dawn Part 1, you get the idea. Although these films are valued in their own right — whether  part of an addictive series or an enthralling adventure — there’s something to be said for the foreign films that sadly, but typically, go unnoticed.

Photo courtesy of Sony Pictures Classics | Daily Trojan

To redeem this travesty, take a look at these smaller foreign films equally deserving of attention. What they lack in name, they make up for with artistry, intriguing subject matter and full-fledged drama.

Circumstance (Iran, France, USA — Aug. 26)

In this scandalous coming-of-age story, two Iranian girls, Shireen and Atafeh, fight against the oppressiveness of tradition as they attempt to discover themselves through drugs and sexual rebellion. The teenage girls might have developed something beyond a platonic relationship and as Atafeh’s brother, Mehran, a former drug abuser, catches on, he becomes increasingly jealous and dangerously destructive.

Love triangles, family betrayal, controversial LGBT themes, teenage rebellion — what more could one ask from a progressive Middle Eastern film? The film also works with takepart.org to make a difference beyond the screen by creating awareness as it seeks equality in the lives of real women. Circumstance pushes the limit, in modern subject matter and distinct filming style, and with a cause backing the core issue at hand, this is one foreign film you won’t want to miss.

Brighton Rock (UK — Aug. 26)

Based on Graham Greene’s 1939 novel, Brighton Rock tells the story of Rose, a girl who witnesses a murder but falls hopelessly in love with the felon, Pinkie.

With star-studded power like the Oscar-winning Helen Mirren and newcomer Andrea Riseborough (of the heart-aching romance Never Let Me Go), Brighton Rock presents a cast that can’t be ignored.

Moreover, the film noir elements in the film enhance the secrets and mystery, enrapturing you in the danger. The British crime drama genre adds an enthralling air of mystery that will hold viewers until the end. Additionally, the edgy, dark aesthetic, seen in color scheme and costume design, adds a level of interesting complexity. With the dazzling Mirren behind the film, it’s sure to be charismatic, exciting and worthwhile to watch.

Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life (France — Aug. 31)

Only eccentric musicians, infamous lovers and the encapsulating Paris could tell this biopic of the world-renowned songwriter Serge Gainsbourg. Following him through his upbringing in 1940s Nazi-occupied Paris to his success as a 1960s Parisian songwriter and finally to his untimely death in the 1990s, Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life provides an in-depth profile of one the most eclectic and scandalous musicians of his time.

The dark and exciting cinematography transports you to a different time and is excitingly gripping. Additionally, appearances by some of the most famous women of the time, Brigette Bardot and Jane Birkin for instance, add a suggestive and dynamic flair.

Finally, the film includes many of Gainsbourg’s greatest hits, allowing you to feel his success as you engross yourself in the life of this legendary music icon. Between the music, the lovers and the man, viewers are sure to be in awe at the life of this iconic songwriter.

The Skin I Live In (Spain — Oct. 14)

From acclaimed director Pedro Almodóvar, notorious for his dangerously sexy and provocative subject matter, comes his latest risqué film, The Skin I Live In. Antonio Banderas, who starred in one of Almodóvar’s first films, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, returns as a plastic surgeon haunted by a surgery gone wrong. To redeem his wrongs, Banderas creates an impenetrable synthetic skin and becomes obsessed with the woman who sports his creation.

Almodóvar is infamous for his plot twists so he’s sure to surprise; you’ll never know what to expect from him, leaving you hooked until Almodóvar’s

imminent, unthinkable revelation. With well-rounded characters who extend eternally deeper than the surface, a charismatic style, bold color use and hits such as Volver under his belt, Almodóvar is a director to be reckoned with and The Skin I Live In is a must-see film.