Free-to-play games are a win-win for all

Instead of selling games as a pay once, play forever-type model, many online games are being offered as free-to-play, with additional charges for extra features. One such highly successful models is League of Legends.

Just last year, Brandon Beck, co-founder of the company that makes League of Legends, visited USC to speak at the 2011 Marshall commencement ceremony. And indeed, his business sense is admirable.

Although paying $60 to begin playing a game like Starcraft II might initially seem steep, players that pay once for a game often end up paying far less for their entertainment than those that begin playing “Ffree to play” games.

The beauty of this business strategy is that it is a win-win situation for both gamers and game producers. For game producers, continued income doesn’t hinge on the release of a single game or expansion, as games are “alive” and continue to bring income. For players, games have the potential to be far better maintained and improved with new content as developers are encouraged to continue to create new content and keep their games running smoothly so players will pay for additional features.

Accessibility is a large reason for the success of many of these games. This strategy has been especially successful with Massive Multi-player Online Role Playing Games. Rather than selling on spectacular graphics or excellent story lines, MMORPG games often win players by lighter system requirements and addicting game play. Players can often access such games for free and are encouraged to player more hours to become stronger. Paying real money can supplement in-game power.

A well-known example is Maple Story, a Korean-made 2d side scrolling game, first popularized throughout Asia. In this game, players can pay real money to gain more powerful items and skills, have fun accessories such as “pets,” or even get “married.” The continued addition of new content, including new characters and classes for players to try when they get tired of their old ones has allowed Maple Story to stay popular with many from the “original” generation of players, as well as attracted many new players since.

Free-to-play games seem to promise a continuing game experience, that doesn’t stop after “buying a box.” Keeping both players and businesses happy, it seems this strategy for online entertainment is here to stay.