Designers storm stores

It’s only the second week of school and you’re already running out of your new, back-to-school clothes. You can’t run the risk of wearing the same clothes from week to week — major fashion faux pas. So, what are you to do?

Look for discounts and shop on a college budget, of course. That’s where Target and Macy’s step in. With designer names but inexpensive prices, you’ll be looking great without breaking the bank. Good luck trying to fit your fat wallet into those brand new skinny jeans.

Big Name Designers at Target

Rumors have been swirling for some time about the Missoni lifestyle collection to be released exclusively for the budget retailer. At its core, Missoni is a family-based clothing home goods brand most identifiable by its eye-catching zigzag motifs and quality knits.

On Sept. 13, Target will launch an exclusive capsule collection created by the Missonis themselves and modeled by Margherita Missoni, the young heiress to the fashion house’s fortune. The Target campaign reflects many of the ideals applied in their higher-end advertisements, but this one carries a younger appeal, making Missoni’s chic clothing available to students and money conscious consumers.

This idea is far from original. Missoni joins the likes of Proenza Schouler, Alice Temperley and Zac Posen, a few of the many designers who have brought their collections to Target — for only a brief period of time only. Few, however, have had collections as expansive as the upcoming Missoni collection, which will include everything from bicycles to blankets.

The hype surrounding the collaboration should come as no surprise to fashion followers. Missoni and Target bring together everything the American shopper values: brand recognition, elegance and, of course, a good deal.

At price points between $16 and $69.99, the Missoni capsule collection is sure to be a knockout. What better way to add some designer envy — without breaking the college budget — than throwing on a colorful zigzag scarf?

Luxury Brands at Macy’s 

Target is not the only retailer to join forces with high-end designers. After this summer’s collaboration with Matthew Williamson, Macy’s has decided to team up with the market savvy Karl Lagerfeld. The designer primarily known as the mastermind behind Chanel is also grabbing the wallet-friendly market with his own collection for Macy’s in stores now.

In a release, Lagerfeld said, “To me, Macy’s is the perfect department store in the U.S. where everybody can find what they’re looking for without ruining their budget.” If the frugal shopper is looking for classic tailored pieces, high necklines and flowy dresses, they should look no further than their local department store.

To add more fuel to its fashion fire, Macy’s also announced that it has Italian designer Giambattista Valli lined up to follow Lagerfeld with a collaborative project. This line is meant to appeal to “fierce fashionistas,” according to the fashion trade journal, Women’s Wear Daily. If the line falls in accordance with Valli’s usual aesthetic, the embellished skirts and dresses will make for perfect party wear for our school’s dressier occasions. The average Macy’s shopper might not be familiar with Valli, but for the tuned-in, this collection will be a fashion gold mine. USC students are known to have their eyes on trends, and with the campus’ close proximity to the Macy’s Downtown location, we have all the more reason to be excited.

Though it might not be the wisest idea to set up a tent the night before the collections are released, it might be necessary to wait online or hurry to the stores the morning of the launch. Retailers continually make the most coveted collections scarce while hyping the product up as if it were a revelation, sending buyers on a shopping frenzy, even if it is just to resell the product on eBay. So here’s to betting the system will work — even if the merchandise is a $50 T-shirt emblazoned with Mr. Lagerfeld’s face.