Trio House offers delicious variety

If you’re sick of ordering from TG Express, but still looking for a good pan-Asian restaurant, look no further than Trio House on Figueroa and 30th streets. Though the nondescript appearance of this restaurant might mean you’ve never noticed it while walking to the 901 Bar & Grill or down to Taco Bell, once you’ve found it, you won’t be disappointed.

Trio House | Photo courtesy of Claire Preising

Guests are greeted with prompt service and a massive menu, which spans six pages and includes a wall-mounted boba and milk tea service.

Every time I’ve dined here, the staff has been polite and attentive; they bring waters to the table before taking beverage orders and are always willing to explain menu items or check with the kitchen on the availability of rare dishes. Though the interior of the restaurant is a bit shabby, the food certainly makes up for it.

Papaya salad | Photo courtesy of Claire Preising

Every course at Trio House is a delight, with appetizers ranging from fresh spring rolls with rice noodles, shrimp and julienned vegetables to delectable Japanese gyoza, served with a traditional potsticker dipping sauce.

Drunken Noodle | Photo courtesy of Claire Preising

Because of the expansive menu, making an entrée choice is difficult; however, it’s hard to go wrong with one of the various fried rice dishes or the drunken noodle (if you’re not a fan of spice, make sure to ask for mild — this one can be a mouth burner).

In addition to rice and noodle dishes, Trio House serves up a number of soup dishes, some mainstream and some more adventurous. The vegetable udon comes in a huge steaming bowl, complete with steamed tofu and a generous serving of tempura vegetables.

To complement their plethora of entrée options, Trio House also boasts a small but delicious dessert menu: fried banana served a la mode, banana brulee, and a variety of Asian-inspired ice cream flavors such as Thai tea, green tea and coconut.

Pad Se Ew | Claire Preising

In addition to dine-in and take-out, Trio House also boasts a delivery service. The phone number is (213) 741-0101, and www.triohouse.com offers an online ordering option as well. All entrees, with the exclusion of specials, are less than $10, with beverages less than $5.