Haute Highlights

MixMatch Dance Festival

The MixMatch Dance Festival, which offers local audiences a wide array of dance styles and performances, will be making its way to nearby Santa Monica for its fifth straight year.

At the Miles Memorial Playhouse, near Santa Monica’s Promenade, attendants will be able to enjoy everything from contemporary, modern, ballet, jazz, hip-hop, belly dancing, world dancing and pole dancing (yes, pole dancing) performed by local dancers and visiting dance troupes.

The choreography of Amanda Hart and her Hart Pulse dance group is promised to stun. If you want a preview of what to expect, visit Hart’s website: hartpulsedance.com. Tickets are available at brownpapertickets.com for $14 a piece.

The dance festival kicks off on Friday and goes until Sunday, Sept. 18.

Fleet Foxes Greek Theatre 

In celebration of their recent album Helpless Blues, which came out May 3, Fleet Foxes have commenced their international tour. Luckily for USC students, they’ll be making a pit stop at the Greek Theatre on Sept. 14.

Between their beautiful vocal harmonies, folk twang and perfect instrumental craftsmanship, Fleet Foxes are not ones to be missed, especially in the prime location that is the Greek Theatre.

With its enchanting forest-like outdoorsetting, full of luscious trees and a clear night sky — a rarity in Los Angeles — the Greek Theatre was practically made for the nature inspired folk singers. Not to mention, the Griffith Park Observatory is right next door and definitely worth checking out as well.

Embrace the beautiful scenery, enjoy the likes of “White Winter Hymnal” and “Blue Spotted Tail” and rejoice in the splendorous vocal harmonies of Fleet Foxes. Tickets are still available, so grab them if you haven’t already.

The Brady Bunch Movie

Looking for a blast from the past?

Santa Monica’s Aero Theatre will be hosting a Sherwood Schwartz tribute Friday with a screening of The Brady Bunch Movie. Schwartz passed away in 2011, but his memory lives on with the legacies he created in hit TV series such as Gilligan’s Island and The Brady Bunch.

In The Brady Bunch Movie, Schwartz’s beloved sitcom characters come to life on the big-screen as anachronistic protagonists trying to fit in during the ’90s. Filled with life lessons, classic sappy moments and spurts of Schwartzian comedy, The Brady Bunch Movie is sure to rekindle old memories and provide an enjoyable experience for audience members of any age.

As an added bonus, Gary Cole and Shelly Long (Mr. and Mrs. Brady), along with Betty Thomas (director), Jim Berg and Stan Zimmerman (writers) will be present after the screening for a discussion.

Be sure to check out this timeless event at Aero Theatre, Friday Sept. 9 at 7:30 p.m. — tickets are available at americancinemathequecalendar.com.

Leonard Nimoy Lecture

With his recent photographic display at the Annenberg Space for Photography’s “Beauty Culture” exhibition, Leonard Nimoy (yes, we’re talking about Spock from Star Trek) has been gaining more recognition in the art world. He’s set to lecture at the Hammer Museum Tuesday, Sept. 13.

“Secret Selves,” which explores the Greek myth in which God split all humans into two, is Nimoy’s newest endeavor. Specifically, Nimoy captured his subjects’ secret identities, asking them to reveal this other half to the camera. But Nimoy isn’t just putting his subjects’ personal lives on display; he’ll also reveal what he learned about his secret self in his artistic process.

With over a hundred revealing photographs, a question and answer session with Heroes and Star Trek actor, Zac Quinto, and insight from the photographer himself, this is one event in the art world you won’t want to miss.

Admission is free but be sure to arrive early as space is limited.