Kerridge recognized for outstanding weekend play

USC senior midfielder Brittany Kerridge’s two-assist, one-goal weekend in the Illini/Boilermaker Cup has earned her a pair of national honors.

Kerridge was named to the Soccer America Team of the Week and as a Primetime Performer of the Week by CollegeSoccer360.com.

Kerridge scored a penalty kick in the Trojan’s 3-1 upset win over previously unbeaten No. 17 Illinois on Friday in Champaign, Ill., and assisted in the game-winning goal.

Two days later she got the assist in the Women of Troy’s 63rd-minute equalizer against Purdue in West Lafayette, Ind., a game  the Women of Troy went on to win in overtime.

Kerridge leads USC in both goals and assists, with three and four respectively, and is third on the team in minutes played. She has been involved (either scoring or assisting) in seven of the Women of Troy’s 11 goals, and has converted both of USC’s penalty-kick attempts this season.

She assisted on USC’s first goal of the season in its opener against Long Beach State on Aug. 19. A week later against Kansas she again assisted on the Women of Troy’s first goal of a game, and then scored on a free-kick to tie the game just before halftime. Against Pacific on Aug. 28, she scored from the penalty spot in what would end up being the game-winning goal in the Trojan’s first victory of the season. Despite her performance early in the season, USC came up short in its first three games.

Recently, her play has been instrumental in USC’s turnaround from 0-3 to 3-3 and also earned her a spot on the Illini/Boilermaker Cup All-Tournament Team.

She and the rest of the Women of Troy face another tough task and another tournament this weekend as they return home to host the Trojan Invitational at McAlister Field.

San Diego will face off against Texas on Friday at 1 p.m., followed by USC hosting No. 4 Oklahoma State at 3:30 p.m.

Sunday’s matchup will feature the Toreros and the Cowgirls at 10 a.m., before the Women of Troy finish up the tournament against Texas at 12:30 p.m.