USC readies for Pac-12 opener

The last time USC faced Utah, the Trojans were upset by the Utes 10-6 in the Las Vegas Bowl — the lowest scoring game in the bowl’s history.

That was 10 years ago. Much has changed.

He’s back · USC coach Lane Kiffin reinstated senior running back Marc Tyler this week after serving a one-game suspension. Though redshirt freshman running back D.J. Morgan is listed as the starter, Tyler could see a prominent role after USC struggled to run the ball last weekend. - Daily Trojan file photo

Over the past decade, Utah (1-0), then a .500 team from the Mountain West Conference, has finished with two undefeated seasons, two BCS bowl victories and five seasons with at least 10 wins.

The Utes will square off against USC (1-0) on Saturday at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum as a conference foe, marking the first-ever Pac-12 game.

“There’ll be a lot of energy around it,” USC coach Lane Kiffin said. “I’m sure it’s a huge game for them, coming down to the Coliseum — regardless of it being the conference opener. And for us, first place in our division is on the line.”

Utah, along with Colorado, officially joined the Pac-12 on July 1, marking the first time the conference had expanded since 1978 when it added Arizona and Arizona State.

If recent history is any indication, the Utes won’t need much time to adjust to the new setting. Over the last three seasons, they have won a total of 33 games. Under coach Kyle Whittingham, who took over for Urban Meyer following the 2004 season, they have compiled an overall mark of 57-20. Not to mention, since 2003, the program is 7-3 against the Pac-10.

“This is a very good team; a team that over the last 10 years has been as good as anybody in the country,” Kiffin said. “They’re not going to be intimidated by coming to ’SC or the Coliseum, so we’re going to have our hands full.”

Last week Utah faced Football Championship Subdivision Montana State and finished with just 292 yards of total offense and three touchdowns en route to a 27-10, a score closer than most anticipated.

Similarly, USC experienced a few problems offensively as well in its opener against Minnesota, as it was outscored by Minnesota 14-0 in the second half.

“The inexperience showed up,” Kiffin said of the team’s second-half struggles. For whatever reason, in the first half, the inexperience didn’t show up as much.”

The tandem of junior quarterback Matt Barkley and sophomore wide receiver Robert Woods largely concealed that inexperience, especially in the first half, combining for 17 receptions, 177 yards and three touchdowns. Woods, as a result, eclipsed the school single-game mark for receptions.

“It’s a combination of the work we put in and the chemistry we have,” Barkley said when asked about his connection with Woods. “He’s a really consistent guy that I trust. If it’s in his vicinity, he goes up and gets it.”

Despite the Trojans’ success through the air against Minnesota, Kiffin might opt to employ a more balanced attack against the Utes after senior tailback Marc Tyler was reinstated Tuesday following a one-game suspension.

“He’s practiced really hard, so we’ll mix him in there some most likely, and see what happens there in the game,” Kiffin said.

With Tyler in the fold, USC, which ran the ball less than 40 percent of the time against Minnesota, now boasts a crowded backfield with sophomore Dillon Baxter, redshirt freshman D.J. Morgan and junior Curtis McNeal all vying for playing time.

The Utes, however, feature one of the nation’s best defensive lines, as it allowed just 111.6 rushing yards per game last season — good for 11th nationally. Against Montana State, it allowed just 75.

“Since we’ve been back this time, I would say this is the best front four we’ve seen and had to face,” Kiffin said. “The front seven in general is really, really good and dominant at times.”

The Trojans’ defense, although not boasting similar 2010 numbers, did look much improved a week ago, allowing just 302 yards of total offense against the Gophers — the lowest in its last 22 games.

“We started pretty well,” senior linebacker Chris Galippo said. “We answered a lot of questions. There are a lot of things you don’t find out until game day. We just need to continue to work, be stingy and make plays.”

Facing the Utes’ offense will be familiar, at least to some degree, as Utah hired celebrated offensive coordinator Norm Chow to install his West Coast offense this offseason. Chow served as USC’s coordinator from 2001-2004 and as UCLA’s from 2008-2010, running a scheme similar to the Trojans’ own.

“It’s nice,” Galippo said of facing a familiar offense. “We can come out here and practice and go against our offense and still get looks that will prepare us for Saturday.”

Kickoff is scheduled for 4:30 p.m., and the game will be televised on Versus.