Practice Notes: Sept. 15

The Trojans concluded their final practice of the week Thursday, as they prepare for Syracuse.
  • Instead of a full-field scrimmage, USC focused on its play inside the red zone. USC has only scored on four of its six red zone attempts.  Meanwhile, its opponents are a perfect five for five.
  • Although the offense has struggled in the second half, Rhett Ellison remained opitmisic. “We’re working hard everyday, so just keep that up, don’t give anything back, put it all on the practice field,” Ellison said.  “As long as guys come out with that mentality, we’ll be good. We just have to finish plays. Finish plays; finish the fourth quarter.”
  • Senior tailback Marc Tyler remains on track to start.
  • USC coach Lane Kiffin revealed that the emphasis in practice has been internal. “This week’s theme has been ‘it’s all about us, it’s not about who we’re playing’.”
  • Despite some close calls, Kiffin seems pleased with his team’s performance so far. “We just wanna improve and make sure that as we look at it individually, and [as] we look at the three phases of the game and as a team that we’re getting better. If we do that, then [good] things will happen.”
  • Freshman guard Marcus Martin took the majority of the first team reps. He will likely share time with Abe Markowitz on Saturday.
  • Sophomore tailback Dillon Baxter received more reps than usual today. Baxter received just two carries against Utah last week.