USC has strong showing in weekend invitational

The USC women’s cross-country team took the San Diego State Aztec Invitational by storm Saturday, placing third out of nine teams. Running at an invitational known for its rough terrain and hills, the Women of Troy reached an average time of 19:16.36.

Freshman Erica Capellino placed first for USC and second overall, posting an 18:27.8 in her first official collegiate meet. USC coach Tom Walsh waited to debut Capellino until this meet, knowing her strengths would work to the team’s advantage, and was pleased with her performance.

“Capellino was the standout runner,” Walsh said. “I was happy with the way she attacked the hills, and she competed very well for the entire 5,000 meters. It certainly didn’t look like it was Erica’s first race of the season.”

Six freshmen and redshirt junior team captain Jessica Lundin were the seven USC entrants in the race. After last week’s start, Walsh was pleased the runners were able to improve on their performances.

Freshmen Erin Matranga, Erin Robinson and Shannon Byrne finished within two seconds of each other for 18th, 19th and 20th places, respectively.

Freshman Austin Lundin placed 22nd, with a time of 19.33.0, while freshman Kira Soderstrom and Lundin finished back-to-back in 28th and 29th place, with respective times of 19.55.5 and 19.56.8.

“Place was more important than time in this meet as everyone ran slower times than they usually do,” Walsh said. “Erin Matranga ran strong on the hills, [and] ran her best race of the season.”

Because of the hilly terrain, all entrants posted relatively slower times than they would have on a flat course. The team ran a slower race than last week’s at the UC Irvine Invitational, but USC’s performance was more what Walsh expected of the runners.

“The course was challenging and very hilly for everyone,” Walsh said. “The team is improving from week to week, and we are headed in the right direction. We have two weeks to prepare for our next race at Pomona Pitzer, and I am looking forward to these next two weeks of hard training.”

The team’s next race is scheduled for Oct. 1 at the Pomona Pitzer Invitational in Claremont, Calif.