Groups emerge in spotlight

Every year, a few bands go from the talk of their local hometowns to finding themselves in the national spotlight.

While some bands only stay on listeners’ radars momentarily, others leave a lasting impression and maintain their standings as worthwhile up-and-comers.

Indie entrepreneurs · The once-local band Young the Giant is gaining international acclaim, along with other subversive groups, such as Farewell Fighter and I the Mighty. These underground, indie groups are becoming notorious for quirky claims to fame. - Photo courtesy of Pieter M. van Hattem

Farewell Fighter, I the Mighty and Young the Giant serve as the perfect testament to new bands to keep an eye out for; they have used their fan-fueled momentum to become forces to be reckoned with.

Farewell Fighter

A four-piece pop-punk band from Nashville, Farewell Fighter is earning acclaim left and right as it connects with fans from all over the country. After being crowned Alternative Press’ Hometown Heroes of 2010, the unsigned band is determined to keep improving.

Farewell Fighter initially gained recognition through a forceful online presence. Last year, one of its first releases on iTunes was the song “Forever Alone (Follow Me),” referencing a popular phrase frequently used on Tumblr, the site the band used to connect with many people.

Since then, it has knocked out two EPs — including The Way We Learn, released earlier this year — and has begun a national tour.

Farewell Fighter is considered a DIY band. Booking its own shows, designing its own merchandise and performing fun and relatable songs all illustrate the band’s solid work ethic. Band members even share their endeavors by keeping in touch with loyal fans through Facebook and an email newsletter.

This month, the band prepares for an East Coast tour during October and November.

I the Mighty

The guys in I the Mighty, a band from San Francisco, have found themselves in a new stage of their careers. The band went from playing shows in tiny venues scattered around the Bay Area to touring in Southern California at places like Chain Reaction. It recently signed with Equal Vision Records in June.

As a progressive alternative rock band, I the Mighty can be compared to the likes of Envy on the Coast, Circa Survive and Bayside. Joining the Equal Vision family of bands seems like a perfect fit. The group has a dynamic force behind its music, keeping listeners on their toes, especially with the tracks “Just Drive” and “Modern Medicine.” The band never fails to engage energetic audience participation at its shows, whether through singing or dancing along.

I the Mighty has made a point to get to know its fans by casually hanging out during shows, chatting with them on Facebook and involving them with the filming of a music video for its latest single. In return, veteran fans can hold onto the fact that the band members are normal guys, even with their rising fame.

This fall, I the Mighty will release its EP Karma Never Sleeps.

Young the Giant

Starting out as a small Orange County indie band, Young the Giant, formally called The Jakes, is gradually becoming world-renowned.

After a few alterations to the band’s dynamic and recording its EP Shake My Hand, the band began gaining some recognition in 2009 at the South by Southwest music festival in Texas. Around the same time, the group signed to Roadrunner Records and gained some airwaves on the Los Angeles KROQ radio station. It’s been uphill for the five guys ever since.

The catchy songs “Apartment,” “My Body” and “Cough Syrup,” from the band’s self-titled album, received positive feedback when live performance videos traveled around the web via YouTube.

Young the Giant spent its time this summer sharing its distinct sound at festivals such as Lollapalooza and touring overseas. The band even scored some television exposure when it performed at this year’s VMAs.

Young the Giant will be releasing a remix EP on Sept. 12. The band has also just embarked on a tour with Incubus, which will make a stop at the Hollywood Bowl on Oct. 7.