USC blown away by Arizona State in first loss of the season

USC junior safety Jawanza Starling missed a tackle and Arizona State running back Cameron Marshall finished off a 70-yard run to give the Sun Devils a 7-0 lead in the opening minutes.

That set the tone for the rest of the game as the Sun Devils ran away from No. 23 USC (3-1, 1-1) late in the second half, capping off a 43-22 victory at home.

“I thought they came out on fire, as we expected,” USC coach Lane Kiffin said. “It was a big home game for them with the energy of the crowd. I thought they played really well. They didn’t make many mistakes, they didn’t give us many chances.”

Mistakes — namely penalties and turnovers — seemed to be the downfall for USC on Saturday night despite numerous opportunities to score. The Trojans finished with 10 penalties and four turnovers, with two turnovers (a fumble and interception) coming inside the red zone.

And it was Arizona State who capitalized on USC’s turnover in the red zone midway through the second quarter. With USC inside Arizona State’s 15-yard line, junior linebacker Vontaze Burfict intercepted a pass from junior quarterback Matt Barkley.

The Sun Devils offense took over at USC’s 48-yard line. Eight plays later, Arizona State led 21-3 after junior quarterback Brock Osweiler connected with junior wide receiver Jamal Miles for a three-yard pass.

After settling for a field goal on its first drive of the game, USC was forced to kick two more field goals after stalling in Arizona State territory. A big reason why the Trojans failed to score after good field position was their inability to convert on third-downs: They were 0-of-6 on third-down conversions in the first half while the Sun Devils were 4-of-7.

Trailing 21-9 at halftime, the Trojans offense came out firing in the second half. Barkley completed five-of-five passes for 67 yards on USC’s opening drive, connecting with freshman wide receiver Marqise Lee on a 24-yard strike.

On the ensuing possession — after the USC defense stopped Arizona State on a third-and-long — it was the USC running game that came to life. Senior running back Marc Tyler had six rushes for 65 yards on the scoring drive, finding the end zone untouched on a 10-yard run that gave USC a 22-21 lead.

“I was extremely proud of our team in the third quarter,” Kiffin said. “We’re a young team. But I was proud of the way we responded. We took the lead in a tough environment versus a really good team.”

The lead, however, was short-lived.

Osweiler marched the Sun Devils down the field, as Arizona State regained the lead at 28-22 on an eight-play, 76-yard scoring drive as Marshall scored his second touchdown of the game on a three-yard run.

Though Arizona State momentarily regained momentum, USC sophomore wide receiver Robert Woods returned the kickoff to the Sun Devils 49-yard line putting USC in another position to take advantage. Two plays later, however, Tyler fumbled late in the third quarter.

“Great teams don’t turn the ball over on the road and great teams are able to take the ball away,” senior linebacker Chris Galippo said. “When you’re backed against the ball like this, you have to finish.”

The USC defense managed to keep it a one-score game after holding the Sun Devils on third-and-one. But after Barkley led the offense inside Arizona State’s 15-yard line, he was sacked, fumbled and the Trojans drive was halted.

The Arizona State offense, again, took advantage of USC’s inopportune turnover. Marshall capped off his three-touchdown night with a four-yard run that gave the Sun Devils a 36-22 lead with just under seven minutes to play in the game. And another Barkley interception was returned for a touchdown late in the game to cap off the scoring.

Despite the inability to execute consistently throughout the game on both sides of the ball, Barkley saw this game as a good experience for the team to learn from.

“I don’t think it was a matter of energy or focus,” Barkley said. “Our guys were ready to play tonight. But [we have to] learn from this tape and then forget about it. There is nothing we can do — just learn and grow.”

1. Tommy Trojan 71
    Tommy Trojan 71 says:

The look last night on “Coach” Kiffin’s face said it all: I don’t have a clue and I think people may have figured that out.

Bob Davie’s comment was telling, as he described the enthusiasm and high energy of Pete Carroll’s teams contrasted with the moroseness of the current sideline. Lane Kiffin is the joke Steve Sarkisian played on the Raiders, then Tennessee, and now SC. Time to send the Kiffins packing.

2. BH
    BH says:

Ok the ASU game is now a statistic. Let us not look back to what could have been — an unbeaten season. The Trojans were and are good enough to go unbeaten.

Now is the time to look toward the next game. The opportunity is simple. Play to win.
    Win one game at a time until all games are statistical w’s.

What might it take? First coaches believe in your players. Second players believe in yourselves, your fellow team mates, and your coaches. Third you are playing for the honor of being a Trojan. If you are playing for anything else resign from the team and seek your own selfish self-interest.

Lastly know this… the game of football is simple; when in possession of the football score a touchdown. When not in possession of the football, get the football back and score a touchdown.
    Stop reading press clippings whether they are good or bad. Play each play as if the only intention is to score a touchdown. Be the best you can be or better yet be better than you can be. It is the only way to get better.
    Encourage the best out of your coaches and fellow players. Don’t settle for anything less than going the extra mile on each play.

Today do what winners do: Plan to win. Practice to win. Play to win. Win.

Fight on. Win forever.