Center for Body Computing working on game-changing biosensors

USC’s Center for Body Computing has been working hard the last few months to create a new kind of technology that revolutionizes the way the public views sports.

The CBC is currently working on new sensors that wirelessly track vital statistics such as body heat, heart rate and perspiration in order to provide scientists, coaches and athletes with valuable information regarding the athlete’s performance.

The group even tested heart rate sensors on USC football players, monitoring them during a scrimmage that involved tackles, acceleration and other game-time maneuvers. This information will hopefully help scientists to establish more reliable baselines for what is normal and abnormal for both professional athletes and recreational gym-goers.

“This technology will change sports. We will soon enter a new era that will make the playing field safer, fans will have even more player information, and athletes will be able to play longer and be able to more easily avoid injury,” wrote Dr. Leslie Saxon for VentureBeat. “In a word, we believe bio sports stats will…become the next new trend in sports.”

In addition to helping create a safer playing field thanks to more information, biosensors will also allow players to perform better and avoid injury. Most athletic injuries can be traced back to fatigue, and this sensor technology is specifically designed to track vital signs and tip off trainers to early signs of fatigue in athletes.

Another major draw to this sensor system is the benefit to the fans. Sporting events do not allow for much in the way of real-time updating and technological interaction, while those watching at home are able to log onto their computers, change their fantasy rosters and even post updates on Twitter about their teams. Biosensors, on the other hand, could send fans specific new information about the players to enhance their viewing experience.

Biosensors will benefit players, coaches, spectators and investors. As Saxon writes, this new innovation will become “revolutionary in sports,” taking athletes and their performances to an entirely new level.