Nikias’ first year marked by growth

Saturday marked the one-year anniversary of President C. L. Max Nikias assuming his presidency at USC.

Achievements ·Since taking office last year, President C. L. Max Nikias has strengthened the school’s athletic compliance standards. - Kelvin Kuo | Daily Trojan

“Niki and I feel deeply honored to serve as president and first lady of this great university,” Nikias said in a statement issued to the Daily Trojan. “This has been a truly extraordinary year for us, and as a community, we can celebrate a number of significant successes.”

The university has seen a great deal of  financial development since Nikias’ inauguration. In the last 12 months, USC raised an unprecedented $1 billion, launched the largest fundraising campaign in the history of higher education, advanced medical research and education, and welcomed its most international freshman class to date.

The university also broke ground on a new university health center and athletics complex and raised and strengthened athletic compliance standards.

James G. Ellis, dean of the Marshall School of Business, said Nikias’ leadership helps the university flourish.

“President Nikias has become an exemplary leader of a world class university,” Ellis said in an email. “He sets the tone for all of us with his work ethic, his values, and his ability to accomplish all he does with a smile and a kind word for everyone.”

Yannis C. Yortsos, dean of the Viterbi School of Engineering, praised Nikias for the leadership and energy he has shown during his first year.

“He started with the explosive energy we all expected and has surpassed all expectations in the momentum he has created for this university,” Yortsos said in a press release.

Undergraduate Student Government President Monish Tyagi said while President Nikias has done a tremendous job in his first year, what has been especially unique about his presidency is the importance he places on connecting with students.

“In the midst of all of the things he has to do and the demand in his schedule — the fact that he has time to engage with students speaks a lot to [his character],” Tyagi said. “He hosts monthly teas where he interacts with students, meets with our student government a few times a semester and he is very student-friendly.”

Tyagi said Nikias is known to have said, “Without students, this wouldn’t be a university; it would just be a research center.”

Nikias focused on encouraging students to engage with the community,  to have a stronger social experience and to have a richer academic experience during his first year, Tyagi said.

“He always talks about how to get students involved in the community,” Tyagi said. “He’s been working with Provost [Garrett] to emphasize making USC a home for students, through creating residential colleges that provide more of a wholesome experience for freshmen. [He has also continued working on] improving the overall academic experience, from recruiting the best faculty members in the world to getting new facilities.”

Some students said they were happy with the changes they’ve seen Nikias implement in his first year and are excited to see how the university continues to evolve under his leadership.

“Nikias has truly re-established the foundation [on] which our university is based and I’m incredibly excited to see how the fundraising will better every aspect of the university,” said Yimu Xue, a junior majoring in communication.

Monroe Ekilah, a sophomore majoring in computer science and computer engineering, said Nikias has raised the university’s profile through the Campaign for the University of Southern California.

“If the goal is achievable, [Nikias’ campaign] would be unprecedented for the university, as well as the surrounding community, since a portion of that money goes beyond USC as well,” Ekilah said. “He’s already raised more than a billion dollars within a year, which really reflects well on the university.”

Christopher Organ, a junior majoring in international relations (global business) and East Asian languages and cultures, said although Nikias has done a good job overall, his leadership could focus more on updating existing campus facilities.

“Leavey Library doesn’t necessarily reflect the quality of the university or other buildings,” Organ said. “If USC [were] to focus on facilities that students use the most, it would make more of a tangible impact on students’ daily lives.”

1. Logic and Reason
    Logic and Reason says:

Nikias focused on encouraging students to engage with the community, to have a stronger social experience and to have a richer academic experience during his first year, Tyagi said.

WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH WORKING WITH THE COMMUNITY?????? HIS IDEA OF ENGAGING WITH THE COMMUNITY IS BULLDOZING LOCAL HOMES AND HISTORIC LANDMARKS TO MAKE WAY FOR MORE USC PROFIT.

Lots of fancy language with little substance or concrete examples to explain how Nikias is benefiting the community or even the university…all I have seen is reduction of campus workers’ rights/wages and a complete neglect of the local community while revenue reaches historic peaks.

• EastCoastTrojan
      EastCoastTrojan says:

Dear “Logic and Reason”:

What examples can you give of Nikias encouraging the bulldozing of local homes and historic landmarks? If you want to have a logical and reasonable discussion about Nikias, and more broadly, USC’s relations with its neighbors, by all means lets do so, but your first comment gives nothing to substantiate your claims.

And what do you mean by “complete neglect of the local community”?

USC should – and DOES! – work with the community in many, many ways – from partnerships with local schools and organizations, to raising money for community service efforts through the Good Neighbors campaign, to supporting local business initiatives to give favorable purchasing to small business in the area, to many other efforts. Although the University’s first responsibility is to its students, staff, faculty, and facilities, it has done an excellent job of listening and partnering where it can with neighbors. Can more be done? Yes. But the University isn’t responsible for everything that happens in the community, and it can’t take care of things that are the duty of local government and neighbors themselves (like street and neighborhood upkeep).

Could you respond to these points?

2. Alumni '10
    Alumni '10 says:

I whole heartedly agree that existing facilities definitely need to be renovated. Levy should be the first.