New students from India at USC decrease

The number of students from India at USC declined from fall 2010 to fall 2011, following a growing trend at universities across the nation.

India ranked fourth among the top geographic areas outside the United States for USC enrollment with 1,265 students from India enrolled at USC, which represents a 15 percent decrease over the last academic year, according to the Office of International Services.

This year there was a 1 percent drop in the number of students from India currently enrolled at universities in the United States. Students from India comprise 14.4 percent of international college students in the United States, which remains the most sought after destination for Indian students, according to the 2011 Open Doors annual survey by the United States International Institute of Education.

Jaynit Raheja, a freshman majoring in business administration, said the high cost of education in the United States is discouraging students from India to study abroad. The average annual cost of private university education in India is $3,620, according to the Indian Ministry for Human Resource Development. The average annual tuition at a four-year private university in the United States is $36,000, according to the College Board.

“The cost of education in the [United States] is way higher than it is in India. Hence, many students are choosing to stay back and then study abroad for their post-grad degrees,” Raheja said.

The most common major for Indian students is engineering. More than 36 percent of Indian students are pursuing careers in these fields because of cultural values based on science and math-based education, according to the Open Doors survey.

Tony Tambascia, executive director of the Office of International Services, said the university’s increased presence in India, including the opening of a new office in Mumbai this year, will help reverse the current decline in enrollment of Indian students.

“USC has a strong history of enrolling students from India, as well as some key partnerships with institutions in that country. And recently USC has increased our presence in India, specifically by establishing a new office in Mumbai, as well as increased recruiting by admission staff,” Tambascia said. “These efforts will help the university maintain its position as a leading destination for some of the best students from India.”

Raheja said despite a decrease in the number of students from India enrolled at the university, attending USC is still a valuable experience.

“USC enables Indians to gain exposure to and respect different cultures while still being in touch with their own culture,” Raheja said. “Life in India is very family oriented; studying at USC has allowed me to become a part of a new family, the Trojan Family.”