Bartner and The Spirit of Troy celebrate milestone

Dr. Arthur C. Bartner, director of The Spirit of Troy, will celebrate his 250th home game today as USC hosts UCLA at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Dr. Bartner has directed The Trojan Marching Band for 42 seasons and has only missed one game when in 1982 he led the All-American College Band for the opening of the EPCOT Center in Florida.

Dr. Bartner has taken The Spirit of Troy (“The Greatest Marching Band in the History of the Universe,” as he calls it) to six continents, 17 countries, televised award shows and appearances in more than 100 movies and TV shows, which consequently earned it the nickname “Hollywood’s Band”. The Trojan Marching band has also achieved two platinum albums after recording twice with Fleetwood Mac.

Since 1970, Dr. Bartner has taught The Trojan Marching Band tradition and pride. His tenure is said to surpass that of any president, trustee, dean or football coach, according to the band’s website. Thanks to his unmatched success and dedication to USC, the USC Hall of Fame will induct Dr. Bartner and The Trojan Marching Band in May 2012..

The cost for the Trojan Marching Band to attend all road games runs at about $325,000 a year. In order to fund the travel expenses  — and continue the streak of 308 consecutive games attended, home or away, —The Trojan Marching Band has launched the Trojan Marching Band Travel Fund.

The band will hold an annual fundraiser across from Tunnel 2 at the Coliseum called Bosko’s BBQ where a pregame performance and all-you-can-eat and drink tailgate will take place. RSVP information is available here, while general travel donation information can be found here.