Donation increases USC’s full-tuition scholarships

The university will increase the number of full-tuition scholarships it offers by more than 40 because of a $3.8-million gift from the Stamps Family Charitable Foundation, which has established scholarships at leading research institutions across the country.

Stamps Scholarships will be awarded to 10 freshmen at the beginning of the fall semester starting in 2012 and continuing through 2016. The Penelope W. and E. Roe Stamps IV Leadership Scholars will be nominated by a panel of USC faculty members for their leadership and innovation, according to Katharine Harrington, vice president of admissions and planning.

“It’s 10 new students who would otherwise not be receiving a full-tuition scholarship. That can make the difference to whether a student can come. Certainly what it does is it relieves most of the financial burdens of a world-class education,” Harrington said in a statement.

The Stamps Scholars will be awarded the same standing as the Trustee, Presidential and Mork Scholars and will receive a discretionary fund of $5,000 for study abroad, unpaid internship and summer research.

President C. L. Max Nikias said the Stamps Scholarships reflects the university’s diversity and strength of the student body.

“This is a tremendous vote of confidence in USC and its talented students, and the Stamps Family Charitable Foundation’s exceptional support will go a long way in helping the university bring the brightest and most deserving students to our campuses,” Nikias said in a statement.

The Stamps Charitable Foundation has established scholarships at 24 universities across the country.

“We are excited to work with the University of Southern California, given its preeminence in a wide variety of academic fields, proven ability to develop leaders, international reputation and influence.”

According to USC’s new strategic plan, released on Monday, the university is striving to increase the number of full-tuition scholarships it awards to students.

1. Milan Moravec
    Milan Moravec says:

Gov Brown’s budget subsidizes the tuition of foreign students at University of California. Californians subsidize the tuition of foreign students at UC Berkeley (UCB) in the name of diversity while instate student tuition/fees are doubled. UCB Chancellor Robert J Birgeneau replaces Californians qualified for public UCB with a $50,600 payment from foreign students.

UCB is not increasing enrollment. Birgeneau accepts $50,600 foreign students and displaces qualified instate Californians (When depreciation of assets funded by Californians are in foreign and out of state tuition calculations, out of state and foreign tuition is more than $100,000 + and does NOT subsidize instate tuition).
    Like Coaches, Chancellors Who Do Not Measure Up Must Go: remove Birgeneau.

More recently, the campus police that report to Chancellor Birgeneau deployed violent baton jabs on students protesting Birgeneau’s tuition increases. The sky will not fall when Birgeneau and his $450,000 salary are ousted.

Opinions make a difference; email UC Board of Regents [email protected]