Trojans to travel the Oregon trail

The Trojans aim to end their longest losing streak since 2003 when they face Oregon (13-5, 4-2) at Matthew Knight Arena on Thursday. The Pac-12 matchup is the first of a two-game road trip for USC in the Beaver State, concluding on Saturday with a game against Oregon State    (11-7, 1-5).

Leader of the pack · In last week’s loss to the Bruins, Maurice Jones was the only Trojan in double figures. Jones scored 13 points. - Luciano Nunez | Daily Trojan

The Ducks are coming off a 59-57 road victory against Arizona, handing the Wildcats their second home loss of the season. The Trojans, meanwhile, are trying to move on from a blowout loss against crosstown rival UCLA.

“We have to get back on track,” said freshman guard Alexis Moore, “It’s obvious we need a win, so our goal is to get better in practice every day.”

USC coach Kevin O’Neill echoed similar sentiments as his team geared up for a difficult inter-conference clash.

“Win or lose, your job is to do your job on every play, every single day,” O’Neill said. “That’s the way we approach practice, shooting, individual work, all of that.”

Even as the losses continue to pile up, the Trojans have maintained a positive outlook regarding their upcoming schedule.

“In terms of team morale, we still have to stick together and keep spirits high in order to finish out the rest of the season,” Moore said.

One point of emphasis for the Trojans against Oregon will be the rebounding battle, especially after getting dominated on the boards by the Bruins by a wide margin — 66-47.

“I’m going to have to start really focusing on [rebounding],” said redshirt sophomore forward Dewayne Dedmon.

The Ducks are a veteran-laden team, starting three seniors and two juniors. Meanwhile, the Trojans are a much younger squad without any seniors logging significant minutes.

“[It’s] not just that [the Ducks are] older, they’re talented,” O’Neill said. “They’re playing well right now, and they’re playing at home. It’s going to be a challenge. We’ll have to play our best game to have a chance to win.”

In addition to their edge in the experience department, Oregon has multiple shooters whom the Trojans will need to keep from getting hot from beyond the arc.

“We basically have to run them off of threes and contest all their two-point jump shots,” Moore said. “Obviously they’re going to make some shots, but our goal is to try to minimize that as much as possible. We have to get up in them and pressure them and force the drive.”

Forward E.J. Singler, perhaps the Ducks’ biggest offensive threat, garnered high praise from O’Neill.

“I don’t think there’s any question. … He’s one of the best [in the Pac-12],” O’Neill said. “Singler is the guy that glues this team together, and he has a bunch of guys he’s played with that understand the game.”

After Thursday’s game, the Trojans will take on the Pac-12’s most potent offensive squad, Oregon State. The Beavers are averaging 82.7 points per game — tied for fifth-highest in the country and nearly 30 points higher than USC’s current output (53.6 points per game).

As the Trojans play out the two-game set against Oregon teams and move on in Pac-12 play, O’Neill has a message for disgruntled USC hoops fans in search of some victories.

“I understand [fans’] frustration,” O’Neill said. “I’m frustrated too, the players are frustrated … We appreciate their loyalty, we appreciate them cheering for their team.”