Haute Highlights

Ballet Preljocaj — Snow White

Friday March 23-Sunday March 25

Dorothy Chandler Pavilion

There’s Mirror, Mirror and Snow White and the Huntsman, and then there’s Ballet Preljocaj’s Snow White.

Clearly, Snow White is in right now, but artistic director Angelin Preljocaj presents the classic story in ways you’ve never seen before.

The contemporary French dance company, in coalition with Jean Paul Gaultier’s beautiful costume designs and Gustav Mahler’s romantic score, heightens the drama of the Grimm Brothers’ fable, bringing a modern, dynamic flair to the timeless tale.

Tickets vary according to seating and can be purchased online at MusicCenter.org.

Indulge in the performative arts and view a fresh take on a classic fable. You won’t be sorry you took a bite of that apple.

The Color Purple

Thursday-Saturday until May 26, 8 p.m.

Every Sunday until May 20, 3 p.m.

Celebration Theatre

Based on Alice Walker’s 1982 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of the same name, The Color Purple is a dazzlingly intense look at the trials of oppressed black women in 1930s rural Southern life. The show presents an epic saga, led by protagonist Celie (Cesili Williams), and runs for two and a half hours.

But don’t let the length intimidate you. The show is anchored by a talented cast of 17, and Marsha Norman’s classic adaptation is as fresh as ever. In addition to stellar music and lyrics by Brenda Russell, Allee Willis and Stephen Bray, a live band and a chorus of gossipy church ladies make for a truly captivating performance.

The Cults

Thursday, March 22 at 8 p.m.

Fonda Theatre

Los Angelite alternative music fans, rejoice! Low-key, on-the-rise music sensation The Cults bring their lighthearted, cheery sound to the Fonda Theatre on Thursday.

The indie-pop duo, consisting of Madeline Follin and Brian Oblivion, are famous for hits such as “Go Outside,” “You Know What I Mean” and “Most Wanted.” The team entices viewers with its laid-back vibes and upbeat attitude.

Haven’t heard of them? The pair played a solid set at the 2011 FYF fest in September. Still no? You will soon.

Whether you like alternative music or not, you can’t deny the charm of these indie darlings. And with tickets going for around $30, why not check out the next big thing in indie music? You have nothing to lose, and only an amazing night of lively music to gain.

LA Film and Music Weekend

Friday, March 23-Sunday, March 25

Downtown Independent Theater

Those of you looking to quench your insatiable thirst for the arts are in luck as this weekend beholds the second annual LA Film and Music Weekend.

Last year’s event brought out 2,000 attendees and presented 100 hours of programming, including short and feature-length films, documentaries and music videos from across the globe. Given the track record, this year’s festival is sure to please as well.

The event begins on Friday at 5 p.m. with red carpet arrivals, followed by a screening of Take Me Home at 6 p.m. and a Q&A with the creator and star of the film, Sam Jaeger. Saturday presents a mixer — bar and live music in tow — at 9 p.m. at the R&R Gallery. Sunday will wrap up the festivities with a screening of Deadheads and, to conclude the event, there will be an after-party directly in the theater.

Ticket prices range according to day and event and can be purchased online at LAFilmWeekend.com.

This weekend be sure to get your taste of the arts.

View Haute Highlights 03-22 in a larger map