Updated: Former USC student found dead

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department confirmed that a body found Thursday floating in the Dominguez Channel is that of 23-year-old Elgin Stafford, a former USC graduate student who went missing from his home in Carson on March 20.

Elgin Stafford, a USC graduate student studying public diplomacy, was found dead Thursday. - Ani Kolangian | Daily Trojan

A cause of death has not been determined, Lt. Arthur Escamillas said.

According to the Daily Breeze, Stafford’s body was spotted in the channel area between Avalon Boulevard and 213th Street in Carson.

UPDATE (2:40 p.m.): The Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism confirmed that Stafford enrolled in the public diplomacy program in fall 2011 and withdrew from the program and university in January 2012. An earlier version of this post indicated that Stafford was a current graduate student.

UPDATE (10:55 a.m.): Vice President for Student Affairs Michael Jackson issued a statement Saturday morning regarding Stafford’s death.

“We are very sad to learn about the death of Elgin Stafford. He was an important member of the Trojan Family and our hearts and prayers go out to his family,” Jackson said. “Every student is very precious to us and has great potential. We are sorry that Elgin’s life journey has ended in such a tragic way. We will do our best to support his family, friends and the Annenberg school community during this difficult period.”

1. USCLGBT
    USCLGBT says:

Elgin was an inspired and motivated student. He always was thinking about his next step in life to achieve his career aspirations. He would plan would he wanted to do next whether it was with research fellowships or continuing his work in DC. Elgin will be missed. His passion for education and advocacy will be remembered.

2. Haili
    Haili says:

Elgin was a man of mighty valor with a heart of pure gold. His smile was so genuine and radiant, and he had so much energy and love inside of him. This is such a huge, huge loss. His family, fraternity brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha and many friends will be grieving his loss and missing him dearly. Please keep his family in your heartfelt prayers during this immensely tragic time.