BeWellUSC launches campus wellness map

BeWellUSC received its final video submissions Monday for its newly launched interactive wellness map that allows students to find places on campus that promote physical and spiritual wellness.

The map, which is available under the “Initiatives” section of the BeWellUSC website, features more than 30 locations on the University Park Campus dedicated to student wellness. Featured locations include Student Counseling Services, the Rose Garden in Exposition Park, the Fishbowl Chapel and the Scene Dock Theatre Patio.

Health · Student Affairs launched an interactive map on its BeWellUSC website. The map intends to encourage wellness on campus and helps users identify which locations promote physical and spiritual wellness. - Photo illustration by Daniel Rothberg

Brittany New, a health educator in the Health Promotion and Prevention Services, said the map was created to help make wellness more accessible to students.

“BeWellUSC was designed in order to make wellness more interactive for students,” New said. “USC is becoming an increasingly residential campus and we needed to start highlighting different areas on campus that students can utilize to improve their wellness.”

Each icon on the wellness map provides a brief description of the location and lists the dimensions of wellness that can be pursued there. Among the different dimensions are spiritual, emotional, intellectual and physical wellness.

New said the initiative addresses a variety of wellness aspects that students might overlook.

“A lot of times people think of health as a complete state, but it is much more about your health potential and working towards this potential in your workplace and your studies,” New said.

The Office for Wellness and Health Promotion is working to bring the map to a variety of different platforms, New said.

“Ideally, the wellness map could be housed in many other places,” New said. “Our office is also talking about creating a smart phone app for the map.”

Tori Wiggins, a freshman majoring in chemical engineering, said she is satisfied with the amount of wellness promoted at USC.

“USC does a good job promoting wellness through social media networks, emails and fliers around campus,” Wiggins said. “Just recently, my R.A. sent out an email about how to get in touch with our floor wellness adviser, and she is planning a dinner for us to talk with him later this month.”

Naomi Yiu, a freshman majoring in business administration, said more fitness options should be available to promote wellness.

“USC should offer more fitness alternatives for student wellness,” Yiu said. “It would be nice to be able to go to yoga classes at the Lyon Center instead of always just having to use the exercise machines.”

1. Rich
    Rich says:

WTF? What a waste of time and effort. Bunch of bed wetting BS. These are adults, time for them to find their own way. It’s called the campus gym, the campus library, the campus chapel, the campus health center. That’s all I ever needed. Libs trying to make the young adults dependent and wussified.