Quentin Tarantino gives first look of ‘Django Unchained”

Quentin Tarantino fans can rejoice: we finally get a taste of his upcoming feature Django Unchained.

Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson and 2011 Academy Award winner Christoph Waltz, Tarantino’s ninth film is set to be released Christmas Day 2012.

Foxx will play a freed slave named Django who travels across the South with Waltz in search of his wife, played by Kerry Washington. In a dramatic change of pace, DiCaprio has been cast as the antagonist, a sadistic slave owner.

The recently released poster is simple: two silhouettes, presumably Waltz and Foxx underneath a broken chain. Evoking the spirit of classic Spaghetti Westerns, Tarantino has stated that the upcoming film is a love letter of sorts to iconic filmmaker Sergio Leone.

Although some are skeptical over how Tarantino will treat such a sensitive topic – this is the man, after all, who rewrote World War II – chances are Django Unchained will be another creative masterpiece for Tarantino to call his own.

Love ‘em or hate ‘em, one must admit that Tarantino is completely original in his vision. And in a world of cookie-cutter and mundane films, such originality is welcome – no matter how crazy it might be.