DPS shoots armed man near The Row

A Dept. of Public Safety officer shot an armed robbery suspect early Wednesday morning near the intersection of West 30th Street and Shrine Place. The suspect was then arrested by the Los Angeles Police Department.

Jeremy Hendricks, 24, allegedly approached two male and two female USC students on 28th Street near Figueroa Street and demanded their property. The students saw Hendricks had a gun and complied.

Crime · Dept. of Public Safety and Los Angeles Police Department officers responded to the scene, where a DPS officer shot an armed robber. - Carlo Acenas | Daily Trojan

Hendricks stashed the students’ belongings in a backpack and ran through a parking lot toward 30th Street, according to LAPD.

The male students chased Hendricks and flagged down LAPD officers.

DPS officers on patrol confronted Hendricks on 30th Street. A DPS officer fired a single shot that wounded Hendricks in the leg when the officer saw Hendrick had a gun.

A possible accomplice was also waiting in a car nearby, though this suspect was not apprehended.

LAPD recovered the gun but DPS declared the area safe. Police have Hendricks in custody, where he is being treated for his injuries.

Hendricks is a documented Compton-area gang member who is on probation for manufacturing dangerous weapons, according to the Los Angeles Times.

He was previously arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, burglary and robbery.

Hendricks was charged with robbery and assault with a deadly weapon.

Though many students living on The Row and 30th Street heard the gunshot, USC did not issue a Trojans Alert text message at the time of the shooting.

A statement released by Todd Dickey, senior vice president for administration, said USC chose not to send out a Trojans Alert because Hendricks was immediately apprehended.

Instead, the university sent an Incident Resolution Notice email to students around 8 a.m., Dickey said in a statement, however, the concerns many voiced about the lateness of this message were valid, he said.

“We will consider all delivery options for alerts in future situations where a threat does not exist but the university community would benefit from more timely information,” Dickey said.

The shooting comes one week after the shooting of graduate students Ming Qu and Ying Wu, leaving many concerned about the safety of the area.

1. Ras
    Ras says:

Has Nikias made any statements regarding the recent shootings near USC? If not, why not?
    Unless of course the only attribute we want in a President at USC is to be good at raising money.

2. Freddie Nerk
    Freddie Nerk says:

Why doesn’t Nikias do more about safety. Its not just these shootings, but theft of bicycles and muggings-even on campus. USC needs to tighten access to who can come and go on campus, more lighting and CCTV around parking and bicycle centres. And the campus needs to exten further out, buy out more properties and bring the students into a safer environment. USC reputation has taken a big hit with these murders and shootings.