Michael Shashoua is awarded Fulbright grant

Goalie Michael Shashoua, a four-year member of USC’s men’s water polo team, has experienced a lot of success in the pool.

The Trojans have won the NCAA championship in all four years that Shashoua has been here.

He has managed to balance his commitment to his team with a difficult academic schedule.

Scholar · A champion in the classroom as well as in the water, senior goalkeeper Michael Shahoua received a Fulbright Scholarship on Tuesday. - Photo courtesy of Sports Information

Shashoua, majoring in business administration and international relations with a minor in communication law and media policy, has been awarded a Fulbright research grant to pursue studies in microfinance in Spain.

Shashoua will head to Madrid to work with the Autonomous University of Madrid and Fair Isaac Corporation, the official credit agency of Spain, exploring the use of microfinance in developed countries.

The prestigious honor gives Shashoua a full research grant along with a year of paid research in Spain. The program accepts 24 applicants, ranging from graduating seniors to doctoral students.

Shashoua is one of 10 Trojans to earn a Fulbright grant for 2012-13, as well as the only student-athlete.

The Fulbright program is the most well-known international exchange scholarship program in the world. In sending students to these exotic countries, the intention is to improve understanding between people of the United States and those of foreign countries.