USC adds Fresno State to 2014 football schedule

Only four games into the current football season, USC Director of Athletics’ Chair Pat Haden already has an eye on the future, announcing USC will add Fresno State to the football schedule in 2014.

The game holds special meaning for Trojans head coach Lane Kiffin, as he played quarterback for the Bulldogs from 1994 to 1996 and proceeded to serve as a student assistant coach after his playing days were over.

“We are excited to add Fresno State to our 2014 schedule,” Kiffin said in a press release. “The games between the teams in the past have been very competitive and have attracted lots of fans from both sides.”

The Trojans and Bulldogs have met twice, but both contests have been noteworthy with each team taking a game for themselves. In their first matchup in the 1992 Freedom Bowl, the unranked Bulldogs stunned No. 23 USC 24-7. Their most recent meeting occurred in 2005, and was one of the most memorable games of the season, with top-ranked USC scraping by the Bulldogs in a 50-42 shootout that saw tailback Reggie Bush gain a league-record 513 all-purpose yards.

Fresno State joins Notre Dame and Boston College as USC’s non-conference opponents in 2014. USC will be hosting the game on Aug. 30, 2014.