New business program will support vets

USC’s Marshall School of Business announced Thursday a new master’s program tailored to military personnel, titled the Master of Business for Veterans.

The yearlong program, which will begin in Fall 2013, will focus on integrating veterans into the corporate world by honing skills the veterans acquired through their service in the military.

Karla Wiseman, assistant dean and executive director of Marshall’s Executive Education, said school officials believe the business world can benefit from the traits that veterans have.

“Veterans can offer a great deal of leadership, can handle a great deal of pressure under situations and are good at problem solving,” Wiseman said.

The Master of Business for Veterans program aims to transition veterans from military life back into civilian life by aiding them with formal business knowledge.

The program will teach veterans useful skills for business, including critical thinking, management, marketing and finance.

“I think a lot of corporations are interested in hiring veterans because of the skills they learn in the military,” Wiseman said. “This program will provide them with the language needed to maneuver in business.”

Marshall officials said they are motivated to increase the breadth of their graduate programs and believe that the veterans are a key group to target.

This is the first graduate program offered by the business school that is specifically for veterans.

“This is an important program for Marshall, serving a population that has provided outstanding service to our country while creating valuable leaders and managers for the corporate community,” said Marshall Dean James G. Ellis in a statement.

Because California has many military stations, the state has a large population of active-duty personnel and veterans. According to U.S. census figures, more than 2 million veterans live in the state.

Classes for the program will be held on alternating Fridays and Saturdays at the University Park Campus. The program will also have  additional evening sessions. Applications for the program are due June 30.