Women of Troy make a splash in win over Utah

USC’s women’s swim and dive team began its journey for another top finish in the country with a 165-88 win over Pac-12 opponent Utah on Saturday.

The season-opening home meet featured the debuts of USC freshmen Jasmine Tosky and Kendyl Stewart, who both took two wins on the day.

Tosky, who was a 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials finalist, finished first in the 100-yard freestyle and 200-yard butterfly, while Stewart claimed the 100-yard and 200-yard backstroke.

USC junior Meghan Hawthorne also took two wins in the meet, including a 1:48.88 finish in the 200-yard freestyle and a 4:13.60 win in the 400-yard individual medley.

The Women of Troy began the day by capturing 15 points with a 1-2-3 finish in the 400-yard medley relay.

Both Tosky and Stewart were in the first-place medley relay team, joined by senior Kasey Carlson and freshman Kasia Wilk.

Senior Haley Anderson, who represented USC at the 2012 Olympic Games with a silver medal in the 10K marathon, then took the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:49.60.

Following Anderson were junior Lynette Lim and freshman Nikki Chang with times of 10:05.45 and 10:10.38, respectively. Together, the trio tacked on 16 points to give USC an early 31-5 lead.

Anderson also claimed second-place finishes in the 200-yard butterfly and 400-yard individual medley.

After Tosky’s win in the 200-yard butterfly, Carlson edged out Wilk for a win in the 50-yard freestyle, adding another 13 points to the Women of Troy’s total.

USC senior Jessica Schmitt also captured a first-place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke to go with a 55.70 finish in the 100-yard butterfly, second only to fellow USC senior Yumi So, who finished 0.09 seconds faster.

Others who finished first included junior Stina Gardell and sophomore Andrea Kropp with wins in the 500-yard freestyle and the 100-yard breaststroke, respectively.

Kropp, who made her debut for USC after redshirting last season, was also a 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials finalist.

USC wrapped up the meet with a 1:33:45 win in the 200-yard freestyle relay.

The Women of Troy, who have eight returning All-Americans, ended the season last year with their second consecutive third-place finish at the NCAA championships in March.

USC’s matchup against Utah was the first of five conference meets before the Pac-12 championships next February. USC’s next conference opponent will be Washington State on Nov. 3.

The Women of Troy will take on San Diego at 2 p.m. at home on Friday, followed by the SMU Classic in Dallas, Texas the next day at 5 p.m. PT.