Trojans No. 10 in BCS rankings

USC (5-1) sits at No. 10 in the initial BCS rankings released on Sunday. The Trojans are one of four Pac-12 teams represented, which also includes No. 3 Oregon (6-0), No. 8 Oregon State (5-0) and No. 20 Stanford (4-2).

Similar to last year’s rankings, the top two teams are from the SEC, with No. 1 Alabama and No. 2 Florida on the inside track to the BCS National Championship Game. Oregon, No. 4 Kansas State and No. 5 Notre Dame round out the top 5.

LSU is the highest-ranked team with one loss, sitting at No. 6. Following LSU in the rankings is No. 7 South Carolina, Oregon State and No. 9 Oklahoma.

USC’s best chances to climb up the rankings are Nov. 3 against Oregon, Nov. 24 against Notre Dame and Nov. 30 at the Pac-12 Championship Game. 

The SEC is tied for the most teams ranked in the top 25 with seven represented, including No. 11 Georgia, No. 12 Mississippi State and No. 18 Texas A&M. The Big 12 also has seven teams ranked, including No. 13 West Virginia, No. 17 Texas Tech, No. 23 TCU, No. 24 Iowa State and No. 25 Texas.

Since the BCS was implemented in 1998, there have only been two occurrences in which the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the initial rankings failed to reach the title game.