Alleged Halloween gunman charged with four counts of attempted murder

A 20-year-old Inglewood man, who was arrested last week in connection to an on-campus shooting, has been charged with four counts of attempted murder, the Los Angeles district attorney’s office said Monday.

Authorities said Brandon Spencer opened fire on four people, including former Crenshaw High School football player Geno Hall, at an Oct. 31 party promoted by LA Hype in association with the Black Student Assembly. At least seven gunshots were fired at approximately 11:45 p.m. last Wednesday when one suspect engaged in a physical confrontation with Hall. Hall sustained at least seven gunshot wounds to his left thigh, back of his leg, buttocks and arm, according to the Los Angeles Times. Three other victims were also wounded and transported to California Hospital Medical Center, but are expected to make a full recovery. The complaint alleges that the shooting was to benefit a criminal street gang.

Student leaders from BSA, the Undergraduate Student Government and USC Program Board have issued statements in response to the incident as well as a letter to the Daily Trojan, which states that BSA will suspend social events for the remainder of the semester and that Program Board will increase the scrutiny it places on outside organizations for co-sponsoring events.

Deputy District Attorney Antonella Nistorescu — from the hardcore gang division — will prosecute and ask that bail be set at $2.04 million at an arraignment Monday afternoon. If convicted, Spencer will face up to life in prison.