HAUTE HIGHLIGHTS

Downtown on Ice

Thursday, Nov. 15 – Jan. 21

Pershing Square

532 S. Olive Ave.

It might not be Rockefeller Center, but an outdoor skating rink takes on more unique pleasures when surrounded by palm trees. The ice rink at Downtown’s Pershing Square opens to the public this Thursday, just in time for cooler temperatures and the holiday season.

Should you care to show off your figure skating skills — or perhaps train for the 2014 Winter Olympics — the rink will remain open until 10 p.m. every day of the week. If your figure-eights aren’t up to par, though, a one-hour skate session will only set you back $6.

Waiting for Jack: Poems of the Beat Era

Friday, Nov. 16 at 8 p.m.

Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center

Whether you’re preparing for the upcoming film adaptation of “On the Road” or are simply a longtime poetry fan, get thee to the Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center’s celebration of Jack Kerouac. Local poets will read the works of Kerouac and other Beats, as well as honor their own rebel spirits.

One never knows when Beyond Baroque will schedule a new event in its

irregular series nor are readers and readings revealed in advance. Given the popularity of these events, only one piece of information can be certain: arrive early.

The Misfits with The Attack

Sunday, Nov. 18 at 7:30 p.m.

Key Club

If Thursday’s Conquest events don’t satisfy your need for a good concert, check out The Misfits this Sunday evening at the Key Club in West Hollywood.

The horror punk band teams up with Rattlehead, The Scurvy Kids and The 40 Ouncers, among many other bands, for a rock extravaganza. And considering The Misfits’ 30 years of music industry experience, the collaborative concert should provide a satisfying blend of old and new.

At any rate, hits such as “Night of the Living Dead” and “Dig Up Her Bones” should please, as always.

Tickets are $25.

No Strangers: Ancient Wisdom in a Modern World

Saturday, Nov. 17 – Sunday, Feb. 24

Annenberg Space for Photography

The Annenberg Space for Photography, which has been closed for several weeks, reopens its doors this weekend for the grand opening of “No Strangers: Ancient Wisdom in a Modern World.”

Guest curated by anthropologist Wade Davis, “No Strangers” features the work of 24 photographers as they study different cultures from all over the world. Ultimately, the exhibit attempts to uncover the mysteries of shared experience and to understand the ambiguity of what it means to be human.

With guest lecturers and an original short documentary enhancing the project, the Annenberg Space for Photography will erase notions of difference and draw larger patterns between peoples separated by geographical location.

Admission to “No Strangers: Ancient Wisdom in a Modern World” is free.