Kiffin expected to return as Trojans’ coach in 2013

PASADENA, Calif. — Despite speculation that his job is in jeopardy, USC coach Lane Kiffin announced  following Saturday’s 38-28 loss to crosstown rival UCLA that he will be back on the sidelines for the Trojans in 2013.

Hot seat · USC coach Lane Kiffin has received much criticism for USC’s 7-4 record in 2012. He says, though, that he will return next season. – Carlo Acenas | Daily Trojan

Kiffin told reporters during his post-game news conference at the Rose Bowl he had been assured by Athletic Director Pat Haden he would keep his job.

A USC spokesperson confirmed that such a conversation between Haden and Kiffin had taken place. Haden also confirmed the account via text message to ESPNLosAngeles.com.

“Absolutely,” Haden responded, when asked if Kiffin would remain with the program.

Though it began the season ranked atop the Associated Press top-25 poll, USC is now unranked and  is also the first preseason No. 1 team to lose at least four regular season games since 1984, when Auburn finished 9-4. Should they remain unranked, the Trojans would also carry the dubious distinction of being the first preseason AP No. 1 team to fall outside the top 25 since Ole Miss went 5-5-1 in 1964.

“Obviously, we’re extremely disappointed in this season,” Kiffin said. “We’re too talented to have this many losses. That falls on me.”

A former USC assistant coach from 2001-06, Kiffin left Tennessee after one season to replace Pete Carroll in January 2010 and is curently in the third year of a reported five-year contract.

The Trojans (7-4, 5-4) face No. 1 Notre Dame on Saturday at the Coliseum in their regular season finale, in addition to a potential bowl game.

When asked following the loss to UCLA if he was concerned about the impact the remaining stretch of games would have on his job status, Kiffin insisted he wasn’t.

“I’m not worried about it,” he said.

Under Kiffin, USC has gone 25-11 through nearly three seasons, including a 10-2 finish in 2011.

1. A. Hick
    A. Hick says:

Stanford, UCLA, Berkeley, and Notre Dame could not be happier at this news. Lane Kiffin ruined Tennessee in one season. Admittedly that program was going down, but he destroyed it. Leave him at USC another year, and you will be down for the rest of the decade before someone can turn it around. And no, Tennessee, still looking for a coach that can clean up Kiffin’s mess there, would not rehire him if USC had done the smart thing and fired him. Considering Knoxville mulled the idea of naming a sewage treatment plant after him, they would not even hire him at minimum wage to clean the locker room toilets.

Kiffin will never amount to anything as a coach because he has no ethics. Leaving him at USC even one more season risks the school getting mired deeper into trouble with new NCAA sanctions. He will be fired at the end of the 2013 season, which will be a mediocre one at best.

2. ronald
    ronald says:

Interesting. What I care about is this: I am a type 1 diabetic. My feet were going to be amputated. until I found a simple way to stop that from happening. if you are a diabetic you need to read this blog:
    saveyourfeet.wordpress.com

3. Jack J.
    Jack J. says:

No NCAAF team has gone pre-season ranked #1 to unranked in the final poll in 48 years. Forty-eight years. The last two? Mississippi (1964) and USC (1963). No team has done this twice in history, until this year under the Kiffin family empire. If this isn’t a strong case against this coaching staff, I don’t know what is. Haden has to get rid of these guys or he should be next on the chopping block. Haden, take a cue from the Lakers and Mike Brown these guys. We don’t tolerate losers in LA, especially when you are handed some of the best talent in the country.

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/research/pre-final_num1.cfm

4. RHill
    RHill says:

Here’s some thoughts: Defense coaches need to go; Kiffin needs to stop being the Offense coordinator — hire someone who knows spread offense and let them calls the plays; Keep Lane Kiffin since he’s such a successful recruiter. New coaches need to build a team. Currently, there’s not a great togetherness on this team. Look what Mora did at UCLA. Trojans need the same “coming togetherness”. I don’t think Kiffin can provide just now, too young. Remember Pete on the sidelines? Fight on!

5. Rich K
    Rich K says:

I’ve weathered almost 60 years of SC football, and I must say this is one of the most disappointing seasons. In the past we had sanctions, but the teams played like true Trojans. These season has been totally the opposite. A perfect example of this was when Wes Horton, a senior, hits UCLA’s qb and gets a personal foul. It showed how poorly these young men have been coached. Even special teams who in past games were the bright star played poorly. Since Haden has given Kiffin another year, we’re stuck. If as with this year the team shows no progress then the call for Kiffin to be fired should be pursued.

6. Steve B.
    Steve B. says:

Haden’s 150% vote of confidence is an asinine statement at this time . He should wait until the season ends
    to make judgment of the situation. Only from memory believe Tennessee under Kiffin had trouble scoring
    much in the year he was there. They also lost to ucla at home that season. Look at the other major sports
    at USC being both basketball teams , and baseball. Haden sits on his hands rather than making changes
    afraid to buyout anyone’s contract.

7. Jason
    Jason says:

NO NO NO…KIFFIN HAS TO GO…after yesterdays loss and just horrible defense…it is time for him to be fired…that simple…what Pat Haden is doing by keeping this incompetent fool as the head football coach is an insult to everyone at USC.