LAPD search campus for narcotics suspect

Police officers pursuing a narcotics suspect on Saturday searched Heritage Hall after receiving reports that the suspect might have entered the building, but did not detain the suspect on campus, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

Officers attempted to detain the suspect in the University Village after seeing him toss narcotics, said Lieutenant Vargas of LAPD’s Southwest Division. The suspect, who is not affiliated with the university, fled to campus before officers were able to detain him.

At around 1 p.m., the university sent out a Trojans Alert advising students, faculty and staff to stay clear of the area around Heritage Hall and the John McKay Center.

“There was never any danger to students or visitors at the university,” Vargas said. “With suspects of that nature, their main focus is to escape from the police.”

Officers evacuated Heritage Hall for their search, which lasted about an hour and 30 minutes until officers determined that the suspect was not inside, Vargas said.

The suspect, who is believed to be a 30-35 year-old black male, 5’10” and 220 pounds, was not detained, Vargas said. He was believed to be in possession of pills.

A scheduled event at Heritage Hall was relocated to accommodate the search, according to DPS Assistant Chief John Thomas.