Fox CEO Gianopulos joins SCA Board of Councilors

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Fox Filmed Entertainment, Inc. Jim Gianopulos joined the School of Cinematic Arts’ Board of Councilors Wednesday.

Gianopulos also serves as a member of the Motion Picture & Television Fund’s Board, a trustee of the American Film Institute and a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Board of Governors.

Honor · Jim Gianopulos oversaw the production of  the film Titanic. — Joseph Chen | Daily Trojan

Honor · Jim Gianopulos oversaw the production of the film Titanic. — Joseph Chen | Daily Trojan

Gianopulos joins many notable board members, including George Lucas, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Sidney Poitier, Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis, according to Variety.

“Throughout his career Jim has always been dedicated to finding and supporting the next visionary filmmaker or technology, and that fits right in with our goal as a board,” Frank Price, chair of the SCA’s Board of Councilors, told several media outlets in a statement.

As a member of the SCA board, Gianopulos will aid the school in fundraising efforts, development and planning.

Gianopulos, who attended Boston University for his undergraduate degree and both Fordham University and New York University’s schools of law, began his career as an entertainment attorney before working at Paramount and Columbia Pictures.

As the chairman and CEO of Fox, Gianopulos oversees the production of feature films and television. Fox has released huge box office hits including Titanic and Avatar with Gianopulos at its helm. While in his current position, he has also taken an active role in establishing a relationship between the entertainment industry and Silicon Valley.

Gianopulos, who currently lives in Los Angeles with his family, participates in philanthrophic work, including for the National Entertainment Advisory Council for the Anti-Defamation League, the Multiple Sclerosis Society and the Help Group.