Dorner manhunt finished

Medical examiners confirmed that the human remains found by authorities on Tuesday were that of former Los Angeles Police Department officer Christopher Dorner, according to CNN.

The positive identification of Dorner’s body came two days after a deadly shootout between Dorner and authorities, followed by a fire in the Big Bear cabin where Dorner’s remains were found. Dorner’s dental records were used to confirm his identity.

The 11-day manhunt for Dorner concluded with a total of four deaths, beginning with the double homicide of former Dept. of Public Safety officer Keith Lawrence and his fiancee, Monica Quan. The couple’s bodies were discovered in a parked car near their Irvine home. Quan was the daughter of LAPD Capt. Randal Quan, Dorner’s police union representative who represented him prior to his dismissal from the LAPD.

Dorner was also the primary suspect in the murder of Riverside police officer Michael Crain, who was killed on Feb. 7 in an ambush allegedly by Dorner. Crain’s partner was injured in the ambush.

Dorner’s final victim was San Bernardino Sheriff’s Deputy Jeremiah MacKay, who was killed in the final shootout between Dorner and police on Feb. 12. A second deputy was injured in the shootout, but is expected to survive his injuries. In total, three people were wounded.

The cause for Dorner’s rage appears to be explained in his 14-page online manifesto, in which he cited his dismissal from the LAPD and the lack of improvement within the department toward since the 1992 Los Angeles riots as reasons for his attacks. In 2009, Dorner was fired for falsely accusing his training officer of kicking a subdued suspect. Though Dorner challenged the dismissal, he was ultimately unsuccessful.

Dorner dedicated most of his manifesto to the issue of race, noting various instances throughout his upbringing and his time in the LAPD that contributed to his 40-person hit list. Quan’s father was named in the manifesto, as well as numerous other members of the LAPD.

In response to the manifesto, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck announced on Feb. 9 that the LAPD would re-examine the details leading to Dorner’s termination from the department.

During the LAPD’s pursuit of Dorner, the city of Los Angeles issued a $1 million reward for information leading to his capture. Twenty-nine donors contributed to the reward, including USC President C. L. Max Nikias. What is going to be done with the reward is still under debate.

“More than 20 jurisdictions and entities are involved in this reward, so all of them will be coming together to collectively determine whether any individual or individuals qualify for it,” Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Beck said in a joint statement. “Our personal hope is that the reward will be distributed, but we must follow the rules and respect the procedures of each entity.”

1. Try thinking first
    Try thinking first says:

If he’d wanted a fair trial, he wouldn’t have shot himself in the head.

I doubt they’ll be throwing around metals. That sounds dangerous. Medals, maybe.

• Twan
      Twan says:

That’s only a story. No proof that happened just yet. Real easy to bust a slug in a dead man’s head who has been broiled on high for 12 hours before anybody bothered to look.

Yeah man, Medals would be better but you never know with LAPD…

Peace!

• martyr
      martyr says:

Are you really that naive to think that the cops would’ve not fired if he voluntarily surrendered during that standoff? They would’ve blasted him even if he walked out that cabin with his hands raised in the air…I don’t condone what Dorner allegedly did to the Irvine couple or the two cops, but he’s not as evil as the media or LAPD make him out to be.

• Twan
        Twan says:

You have excellent points! People have already forgot LAPD shot 3 people who they thought might be Dorner who were neither armed or looked anything like a 270 pound African American. They shot two old Asian ladies delivering newspapers papers. Their pick-up has over a 100 bullet holes. Dorner was a dead-man walking as soon as they found his manifesto.

2. Twan
    Twan says:

Pity the man couldn’t get a fair trial before he was burned at the stake. Don’t get me wrong, he murdered people that didn’t have it coming and he needed to pay for that behind bars. That’s what judges and juries are supposed to do and not a crazed mob of angry cops bent on vengeance trying to close the book before Obama went on national stage that night. I heard the police scanner traffic playback on MSNBC and there is no mistaking what those cops had in mind. I’m sure after a “thorough investigation” they’ll be throwing out metals like candy from a pinata…