Honest words illuminate Simple Things

New artist Jarell Perry is many things — a coffee and whiskey connoisseur, a UCLA alumnus and an exceedingly talents vocalist. But what really makes him stand out in the music world is his uncontainable passion, which jumps out at you when he speaks.

Stand for change · Jarell Perry writes autobiographical songs about his life, relationships and work, but says he hopes the words resonate with everyone. He wants people to know life goes beyond the polished fairy tale. - Courtesy of Pitchblend PR

Stand for change · Jarell Perry writes autobiographical songs about his life, relationships and work, but says he hopes the words resonate with everyone. He wants people to know life goes beyond the polished fairy tale. – Courtesy of Pitchblend PR

He is a musician on a mission to create honest, soulful R&B, and his upcoming self-released EP, Simple Things, does just that.

Perry says his EP, set to drop on March 18, is intended to make listeners feel like they are embarking on an adventure.

“Simple Things is a journey. Every song has a moment for your life — a soundtrack to your life,” Perry said.

Though the lyrics were inspired by his own life and experiences, Perry said he hopes everyone can relate to the emotion he feels in his songs.

“I make songs for people to feel something — that’s the first thing. But, I also want to put a message that brings people some hope or to make them feel like they can be understood,” Perry said. “My songs don’t tell a certain story. They paint a picture, and that picture can be interpreted in many ways. That’s how I want people to look at the songs.”

The emotion, passion and drive communicated through his self-written ballad “All Aboard” is a perfect example of this.

“When you’re going for a dream, or something in life, not everyone can go with you, and not everyone’s going to understand where you’re going, or agree with where you’re going but you have to do what’s right for you,” Perry said.

To capture the emotion of his lyrics on Simple Things, Perry incorporates a host of acoustic sounds, electronic vibes and even some dubstep breaks. Perry said he wanted his listeners to get an element of surprise — a lot of “unexpected things.”

Though he has been dubbed a R&B/pop-fusion vocalist, he said he works to break this label and try to change his style every day.

“As an artist, I’ve always wanted to blend and not put a box on the genres,” Perry said.

Music has been a constant in Perry’s life from an early age. From gospel choir in high school to jam sessions and open mic nights with friends during his time at UCLA, he has continued to experiment and find his voice in the music world. His latest album, with its raw and soulful tracks, touches on all aspects of his life.

“It’s an honest record. … I talk about working, dreaming, wanting to be something, relationships, conflict — and those are really the simple things in life that I wanted to talk about because, at the end of the day, we’re all just real people,” Perry said. “Life goes beyond the polished fairy tale and the glammed-up music videos.”

Perry got his start creating material for other singers and rappers, but he decided to refocus and seek his own sound.

“It wasn’t fulfilling me like I wanted it to be, just chasing placements, record labels [and] different sounds,” Perry said.

This, Perry said, is why he is so careful with his image and how it is cultivated. Perry has put in countless days and nights to sculpt a creative name and brand for himself. Not only does he write his own music and lyrics, but Perry also works in the studio every night with his producer, Hassan Johnson, doing everything from designing the album art to his own website.

Perry said he would like Simple Things to serve as his introduction to the music world as a fresh and honest artist. People can count on Perry to come through with fresh vibes, relatable lyrics and a genuine personality. He’s an artist that has the chops to make you feel something through his lyrics and music.