New student acceptance rate more selective

The university’s undergraduate admission center and enrollment services team mailed out acceptance letters Tuesday night to more than 45,000 Trojan hopefuls.

The acceptance rate for this year’s applicants was 19.6 percent, down from 20 percent from last year. The admitted students come from more than 3,100 different high schools across the world. One out of every nine students accepted is the first in their family to attend college.

According to the university’s Office of Undergraduate Admission office, the newly admitted students have diverse backgrounds. Sixty-four percent of the students from the class of 2017 are students of color, while international students comprise 17 percent of the admitted students.

Many students come from California. Other highly represented states include Texas, Illinois, New York, Washington and Massachusetts. Most of the admitted international students hail from China, South Korea, India, Canada and Singapore.

The students have high academic accolades and achievements, according to the USC Undergraduate  Office of Admission The standardized test scores of 75 percent of the admitted students were in the 95th percentile; in addition, the average admitted student had an unweighted high school grade point average of 3.8 on a 4.0 scale. The accepted students also took an average of six to eight advanced placement classes during their time in high school.

Admitted students have until May 1 to accept the admission decision.

1. Alex
    Alex says:

I think USC accepted a much much larger number of appeals last and bumped up many more spring admits to fall than they typically do. Their yield rate turned out to be lower than expected due to the switch to the common app, and as such the final Fall admission rate went up by a couple percentage points. This is all rumors though, I could be totally wrong.

However, people with rejection letters this year could let us know how many appeals were accepted last year. Usually appeals stand around a 5% chance. How was it last year?

2. david
    david says:

Why did USC state that last year the acceptance rate was 18% down from 22%, yet this year the acceptance rate is 19.6% down from 20% and a decrease over last year?

Another great job from the incompetent Daily Trojan.

Does anyone from this newspaper go on into the field of journalism or is this just a gimme class? Some one needs to overhaul this piece of c..p newspaper.