Four reasons to watch baseball

People these days don’t like baseball. Maybe that’s not entirely true, but America’s favorite pastime—and its first—has certainly taken a backseat to the fast-paced, media juggernauts that are football and basketball.

Sure, baseball is slow. Those foreign to the game pick up on a seeming lack of action and an overabundance of “in-between” time. Baseball is intrinsically Hitchcockian, and we live in a world of instant gratification. Baseball isn’t as flashy or glamorous as the other two elite sports, but it’s cinematic and nostalgic.

But if you’re not the sentimental type, consider this: the 2013 baseball season is tailored for any sports fan that wants to witness greatness. And let’s be honest, that’s why we all watch, right? Without further ado, here are some reasons to watch baseball this season.

First, let’s be a little presumptuous and extrapolate what we’ve witnessed in the first two or three or so games to what we should expect from the remaining 160

Pitching Feats: The Texas Rangers’ Yu Darvish was perfect through 8.2 innings in his first start, surrendering a no-no opportunity when a grounder found the gap between his legs and into centerfield. Los Angeles Dodger and former Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw threw nine shutout innings against the reigning champion San Francisco Giants. And in case you want to start counting, both Kershaw and Washington Nationals lefty Gio Gonzalez have both hit home runs.

Offense: In the inaugural game of the season, the Houston Astros marked their American League debut with two triples from Justin Maxwell that helped lead them to an 8-2 victory. For the rising-favorite Nationals, rookie sensation Bryce Harper launched two homers in their season opener. This kid is 20 years old, possibly younger than you and I.

Other Worthy Headlines: On Wednesday, Arizona notched a walk-off victory in the bottom of the 16th inning in a game where lead changed seven times between the Diamondbacks and the Cardinals.

Money (With A Local Twist): If you’re a Lakers fan, you probably like money or relish the teams that have it. Money buys freedom and championships, right? It’s a sore subject for the Lakers right now, but in baseball, the Dodgers just upped the ante. Magic Johnson and the whole organization emptied out the piggy bank to bring in some big names for a “Whole New Blue.” Success isn’t guaranteed, but it’s going to put the “Moneyball” theory to the test. And if you’re not from L.A. and you happen to enjoy bashing the Yankees for their similar reputation, a new villain has been born.

Not convinced yet? It’s still early. There are 160 games left in the season, and a lot more spectacle is bound to unfold.