Beigelman endows scholarship for the School of Social Work

Alumnus Paul Beigelman donated Friday $25,000 to the School of Social Work to create a scholarship for graduate students who plan on entering the health profession.

The scholarship is in honor of Beigelman’s late wife, Irene Beigelman, who was also a graduate of the university.

Beigelman cited the importance of the field of social work as a reason for his monetary contribution.

“Social workers do exceptionally important work,” Beigelman said. “I saw my wife doing it. I’m glad to help them in any way I can.

Judith Axonovitz, director of the school’s Skirball Academic Center and a clinical professor of field education, said Beigelman’s scholarship emphasis on the health field identifies an important aspect in the field of social work.

“We teach our students that it’s a holistic approach in treating our clients, and Dr. Beigelman saw that as well,” Axonovitz said in a statement.

Beigelman earned his medical degree at USC in 1948 and his wife graduated from the School of Social Work in 1957. Beigelman said that his enduring dedication to the university prompted his donation.

Though Beigelman has worked at many universities, he has maintained close ties with USC. Beigelman received his medical degree from the Keck School of Medicine and has completed his internship at the Los Angeles County + USC Medical Center.

“Next to my family, USC is the No. 1 recipient of favors of my trust,” Beigelman said. “I bleed cardinal and gold.”

Both Beigelman and his wife made an impact on improving the health of youth and the underprivileged. Paul Beigelman specializes in diabetes care for underprivileged populations. Irene Beigelman worked with the Children’s Bureau, a federal bureau aimed at improving the lives of vulnerable children and their families.

According to the U.S. News & World Report, the School of Social Work was ranked as the eleventh best social-work graduate programs. The masters program can be completed in two, three or four years.

Beigelman said that he hopes his donation will contribute to the future success of the school.

“I’m determined to do my bit to keep USC where it belongs in the top ranks. I want to spread the good stuff around. What is money for if not to do some good?” Beigelman said.