Dept of Public Safety postpones reaccreditation

After submitting itself for reaccreditation from the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators, USC’s Dept. of Public Safety was granted a postponement of approximately a year.

The waiting game · The Dept. of Public Safety has postponed its International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators reaccreditation review until spring of 2014 in order to reorganize its personnel and policies. - Daily Trojan File Photo

The waiting game · The Dept. of Public Safety has postponed its International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators reaccreditation review until spring of 2014 in order to reorganize its personnel and policies. – Daily Trojan File Photo

DPS Capt. David Carlisle said that the department requested the time in to reorganize its department.

“We decided that, with a change of administration with a new chief, that we were going to reorganize and make a number of administrative changes,” Carlisle said.

The IACLEA represents more than 1,200 colleges and universities in 20 countries. Receiving IACLEA accreditation means that the college’s safety department in question meets more than 220 standards.

USC first gained IACLEA approval three years ago. A group of assessors were scheduled to examine all aspects of DPS in late April. Instead, DPS will focus on fixing its temporary issues before beginning the reaccreditation process.

“There’s going to be some restructuring to the department, additional positions added and two new deputy chief positions,” Carlisle said. “We’re hoping the new positions will be filled by the fall semester.”

An accreditation from IACLEA illustrates to the public that the department is in compliance with the most stringent campus security laws applicable.

Reaccreditation is given once the IACLEA reviews the policies and procedures of the department to make sure that they are still complying with their standards.

DPS hopes to begin the process in the spring of 2014. If received, DPS will be reaccredited for four more years.