‘Captain America’ should see fourth week at No. 1

Following the release of big blockbusters like Rio 2 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier, this upcoming weekend seems a little small, with a lack of major releases in favor of a few small films that may hit specific markets.

Perhaps the biggest film coming out this weekend is The Other Woman. Starring Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann and Kate Upton, the film is clearly targeted towards the female demographic.  When three women find out that they are all dating the same man, (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) they decide to take revenge. Eerily reminiscent of John Tucker Must Die, this film targets an older demographic than the teen film. Reviews have been mostly negative for this film, so do not expect a strong showing at the box office.

Brick Mansions stars the late Paul Walker and David Belle, the creator of Parkour, in an action-thriller. While the film has not received strong reviews, it should prove entertaining to audiences. It seems to be primarily driven by the action stunts rather than plot, so those looking for a film with pure adrenaline and excitement should enjoy it. Fans of Walker or Parkour will make it out to the theater, but it should not have a particularly significant showing this weekend.

The last release this weekend is The Quiet Ones. Another horror movie to follow up Oculus, this film is by Hammer Films, known as leaders of the horror genre. Horror films don’t usually have a big market during the spring, but with Oculus’s success, horror fans may be looking for more scares. This film, like Brick Mansions and The Other Woman, should also fail to see a large box office draw.

Expect a slow week at the box office. While Heaven is For Real did very well last weekend, its success can be largely attributed to Easter. Look for Captain America to once again stand atop the box office. It should face stiff competition next week, however, with the release of The Amazing Spider-Man 2.