‘Spider-Man’ should dominate weekend box office

In today’s society there is one thing that is clear: Marvel dominates the superhero genre. Although The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is not from Disney and Marvel Studios, it is still a huge blockbuster that should dominate the weekend. This weekend also features Walk of Shame, starring Elizabeth Banks, but the box office should belong to Spidey.

The Spider-Man reboot has drawn a considerable amount of praise as opposed to the previous incarnation starring Tobey Maguire, and looks to be a major hit this weekend. Andrew Garfield leads the star-studded cast, which includes Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx and Paul Giamatti. The film has received generally favorable reviews so far, but just the mere fact that Spider-Man is in the film should draw the majority of audiences. It should easily take the number one spot.

The other film, Walk of Shame, is a comedy starring Elizabeth Banks and James Marsden.  Banks stars as a reporter who is left stranded after a one night stand without her phone and keys, with only 8 hours until the most important interview of her life. Banks is well known as a comedy actress, so the film should be able to draw in some numbers. But a weak marketing campaign and lack of real buzz before its release could prove to be a problem.

Last week, The Other Woman managed to overthrow Captain America: Winter Soldier for the top box office spot, despite its poor reviews, but this weekend, The Amazing Spider-man 2 will easily take the top spot.